NO tubbing out!

-

75Dart440

Reaction score
hey guys, I have a 75 dart sport hang ten. Just got a 440 running in it. I got an 8 3/4 rear end for an a body that I am rebuilding. Because the car is a Hang ten i dont want to tub it out (trying to keep it in original enough condition that i can sell it with original parts if i ever want to. SOO my point is that i want to install some wide rear wheels/tires. so what can i do to fit some wider rear wheels than the originals?

offset spring shackles will give you another inch or two. That'll be enough room to fit 9" wide wheels out back supposedly. Mancini sells them.

Offset spring shackles will give 3/4 of an inch more room. While that will help a small amount to really gain much you need to relocate the springs to the frame rails to get 2-3" inches more clearance. With that you can stuff some pretty wide tires under it.

If you don't want to go through that much work careful measuring of the backspacing and tire wall width (which can vary from mfg. to mfg.) can net some fair size tires. I have 8" wheels with 3.75" backspacing and 275/60/15 tires under my Cuda which has about the same amount of room as a Duster and they fit with plenty of room. From my measurement it looks like 4.25" backspacing is all you can fit without relocating the springs either via the offset shackles or total spring relocation. With 4.25" backspacing a 8.5" wide wheel fits without sticking out too much. You could probably go 9" on the wheel width if you carefully choose tires with a narrow side wall.

Height is another issue to keep in mind. 28" tall is as tall as you can go without the tires hitting the front/lower section of the wheel well opening. The only thing you can do about that is modify the wheel well opening or space the rearend back a little but you have to keep in mind when you move the rearend back your pulling the driveshaft yoke out of the trans. so you might need a longer driveshaft to make up for it. You also have to watch the rear shackle angle to make sure it's still ok. If you only space it back 1/4" you'd probably be ok but that's all I'd chance it.

Wow, is a Hang Ten really worth saving? I mean you're going to do a lot of work for not much gain in tire clearance plus the tire height is a real issue especially with leaf springs. If the car is really worth not cutting up then I'd look for another shell but that's just me.

I know with the offset shackles and hangers I got a 28/11.50/15 ET Street on Center Line 9.5" auto drags under my 65 Valiant. I had to roll the outer edge of the inner fender lip up but they fit good. That extra 3/4" gives you more than you might think.

i have a 1974 duster and without and modifications to the placement of the springs i was able to get 265 60 15 on 8" wheels and i have very little rubbing, i cant remember the offset of the wheels but with a little measuring it wouldn't be hard to find the offset that you need

i have a 1974 duster and without and modifications to the placement of the springs i was able to get 265 60 15 on 8" wheels and i have very little rubbing, i cant remember the offset of the wheels but with a little measuring it wouldn't be hard to find the offset that you need

Is your profile picture with the 8" wide wheels and the 265 60 15? Cuz thats all im looking for. Just some chunky rear tires to replace the oem pizza cutters.

-
Back