No VIN no Title, can you register?

-

idrift

Reaction score
Got a call from my brother in Nevada seems he dug up a car with no
VIN tags on it and a "lost title" yeaaaaa. Anyway my answer right away
was, no way but then again I am often wrong. Can you title a car like
that? I think Nevada is about the easiest state there is but I dunno?

No vin and no title.... We call that a flower box or mobile storage shed around my neck of the woods.

If he can but it won't be easy.

Got a call from my brother in Nevada seems he dug up a car with no
VIN tags on it and a "lost title" yeaaaaa. Anyway my answer right away
was, no way but then again I am often wrong. Can you title a car like
that? I think Nevada is about the easiest state there is but I dunno?

The VIN number and no title should not be a problem. The vin number is stamped on several locations on the body, like the front radiator support, firewall, trunk etc. It differs from vehicle to vehicle. I live in British Columbia Canada, and up here the government has what is called, the department of last resort. For a $25 fee you send in the vin. number, year, make and model and they will look up the title, and last registered owner for you. It is then your responsibility to contact the original owner if you are able to and get the titles switched to you. IF the owner is not found, you can then through this department claim title to the vehicle. I did this with a 54 Chev California Special, and when I got the registration and title it was registered as a 2000 1953 Chev. It took a month or so and about a $100 in total, but it was now mine.

Doing this prevents the ugly scenario of the original owner claiming rights to the vehicle after you just finished putting $20.000 into it. I have seen this happen several times. So check with the Nevada DMV to see if they have such a department, and do all the paper work before you put any $$$$ into the vehicle.

I guess it varys state to state, I thought I would play hell trying to get a title for a project car, 52 dodge, had tags on door jam and firewall but were not vins. Supposedly they were on frame. well original frame was replaced with a chevy frame, I know, Anyhow a state trooper came out to inspect and I got a Title. Call or go to your DMV and ask what would be required to title a car with lost vin and title. I think states are getting more reasonable with this becomeing a huge hobby nationwide. good luck, bill of sale a must.

I had to do the same thing with my car. It was NO PROBLEM!!!!! Just have to see what the legal route to take is for your state. And expect to spend a little money. NO PROBLEM!!!!

Seriously? I thought there was no way. Wow guess I am learning
something today!

The short answer is "Yes". The State (NEV.) will inspect the vehicle to find its hidden VINs & if they locate it, run it. Assuming it's not stolen,your brother will have to contact the registered owner, request he sign over the car & that's it. Assuming the owner doesn't want to, the car is legally the registered owner's (or his estate) & he'll have to return it. If there's no VIN or the owner doesn't respond, usually within 30 days, your brother can apply for an abandoned title in his name & (again) he can register it. What if there's no VIN? The state can assign a VIN & allow it to be registered. It's not difficult, just alot of paper-chasing............

What could be done with cars that are cobbled together from junked vehicles with more than one VIN? Also, how do you get a VIN for a home-built hotrod that never had a factory VIN?

What about those street rod kits that come with no VIN.....you know the fiberglass ones that we drool over......If you build one by this year it will titled as a 2009

In florida when you build a "rat rod" you have to have reciepts and bill of sale for all the major components,then when you get the title back it says "assembled parts" Lol 2008 assembled parts LoL sounds like a ford of some sort
What could be done with cars that are cobbled together from junked vehicles with more than one VIN? Also, how do you get a VIN for a home-built hotrod that never had a factory VIN?

What about those street rod kits that come with no VIN.....you know the fiberglass ones that we drool over......If you build one by this year it will titled as a 2009

This also depends on the state. In CA a certain # of these cars are allowed to be registered smog exempt as kit cars every year. The permits/registrations are usually all taken on the first day. But, if you know the system, or know someone that does, you can get a smog exempt title for it. I ran into a guy with a kit Cobra that had camped out at the DMV on whatever day it was and managed to be one of the X number of kit cars registered that year as some kind of special build allowing them exemption. I don't know much about it, just that it can be done.

Otherwise, they're registered as a 2009, and have to meet the smog rules of that model year.

-
Back