No Wheel Weights!???

-
I usually use the yellow crayon used for writing the customer's name, or valve stem position on a tire to be re-mounted, or to mark a nail hole, and put a corresponding mark on the"un-spotted"/visible side, saves all the pain you're experiencing..

Using 3 1/2 oz of weight to balance a tire that may require little or no weight if the tire is positioned correctly, is irresponsible if given the choice, and dots are avail on either side. jmo . I just have high standards in my shops, and expect better.

Mounting a used tire, no dots, I'll break the bead and swing the tire a few times if the weight seems excessive.

I've maybe had 15 wheels balance perfectly over 4 decades and hundreds of wheels.. lol

hope it helps . . cheers.

Its not a pain, i was stating that many shops wont do that, am i going to worry about lining up the dot on the backside of a 235/85r16 on a steel dually wheel? Certainly not. Most of the tires dont even have the dots, ive seen three tires of the same set have them and one doesn't. If they are present they get lined up. If there isnt any dots on the tire im not going to spin the tire unless it calls for some ungodly amount of weight. Simple as that. It already takes roughly 30-45 min to mount and balance a set of tires. I have had to spin tires several times to get them to balance out with a tolerable amount of weight. Also tire quality plays a big role, we mainly sell the top brands. Usually you see more weight on heavy tire/rim assemblies or on wheels with a large positive offset. You could have a tire balance out with 1.0 oz on the left plane and 2.0 oz on the right plane and could you get it any lower by spinning the tire? Possibly. But could also make it worse. Point is if the tire calls for less than 2.5 oz on either side on anything less than a 3/4 or 1 ton truck than that is considered a low amount of weight to me. Even 3oz of weight on either side is a low amount of weight for a spinning assymbly especially with the variables that can be present from the tire/rim manufacturing

Do these work?

Yes and no. Depends on application. Only time i would use them is on large truck wheels or tires, usually anything larger than a 225/75r19.5 or 33x12.50r15 gets beads. I prefer hammer or stick on weight balance over beads on passenger vehicles

If memory serves: the valve stem hole is drilled
at the heaviest spot on the rim and the lightest
spot on the tire is marked so they can be aligned
to help with balancing.
Doesn't mean it works out every time, but at least
you have a starting point if you need to rotate the tire
to fine tune the balance.
Been a long time since I worked in the tire shop.

Balancing a tire without the correct air pressure will also
change the balance.

Also balance with the sticker on the tire will change it too, from what ive seen it seems to be about a .25 oz difference

-
Back