noisey valvetrain

-

deman360

Reaction score
I recently finished putting together an LA 360 hybred, magnum heads on a 1976 block, block align honed,decked,borded 40 over,stock crank internally balanced turned 10 under,resized bushed and floating rods.KB hypeutectic flat top pistons, comp cams xtreme Energy XE262H Cam & Lifters PART #CL20-222-3, mopar push rods recomended for this swap adjustable stainless rockers with a Crane 3/8 stud adapter kit heads have been worked with basic head work 3 angle valve job shaved for flatness, it still have the beehive valve springs magnum valve covers rpm air gap 600 edlebrock carb,it runs sweet, the problem is it makes valve train noise it evens clacks at times almost like a solid lifter cam. I have ajusted the valves over and over the way I have always ajusted this type of valve and the way the Comp Cams and Cranes literture stated. I have even tighten each valve an addition 1/4 to 1/2 turn but to no avail. has anyone run across this problem when doing this type of swap with magnum heads? btw I sprung for the ajustable rockers because I had the same problem with the stock rockers and stands thinking I could ajust the noise out but it is still there.

I have an Xtreme Energy solid cam with aluminum heads and it is noisy!! I read an article somewhere just recently about the valve train noise related to these cams. The article mentioned something about the design of the cam creating a faster velocity of the valve as it closes. I don`t know if there`s any creedence to lend to the story but I`m learning to live with the noise. Some say aluminum valve covers will help quiet down the valve train. Like you, I`ve tried adjusting the noise out to no avail.

deman360
I have the same setup as you have - its called the 'sewing machine" affect and yes it has to do with the aggressive cam and higher lift - all in the persuit of more power - there always is a downside.

Similar setup here too, deman360. I have a little more aggresive cam than you but the result is the same. Whether you call it the "sewing machine" affect or as I call it "my diesel", it's there to stay. You might want to back off your rockers to zero lash plus a 1/4 turn. Where you have them they don't leave a lot of room for error on your lifters and you run the risk of wiping a cam lobe. As far as aluminum valve covers helping to quiet the noise, if they do, I would hate to hear it with steel covers as mine are aluminum and everybody asks me what size my solid cam is. LOL

Jack

I have the 360/magnum hybred with a comp XE268H cam and have the same noise.

I tried the crane guide/stud kit and sb chevy aluminum roller rockers. With the MP conversion push rods the bottom of the rockers contacted the guide plates plus the geometry was way off, the roller almost went off the edge of the valve to the exhaust side. Wound up using 7.800" pushrods to get the geometry better but still not perfect. In any case the valve noise didn't go away and i got a whole new set of noises that i think was caused by the nylon insert. I went back to the stock rockers.

Also, the magnum beehive springs are not adequate for the cam you are using. They don't have the rate to control the valve and must be very close to binding up. Another thing, you mention magnum valve covers, if they are the stock sheet metal ones the baffles will interfer with the aluminum rockers. You either need to bash the baffles down against the cover or cut them out.

Thanks to all of you mopar heads for the helpful info. I have checked a little closer and it seems that the push rods are rubbing the head on the intake side where the push rod come through. The push rods are holding the valve open just a little during mid lift then the spring closes the valve causing the noise. I am in the process of grinding the casting flash from this area and thats all I am doing so I can tell if this is going to work. I will keep you posted.

deman360

Well I guess I'll have to live with the noise coming from the valve cover, even after grinding the casting flash it still makes noise but no where as loud as it was. The push rods were rubbing inside the heads but it ticks like the rockers are loose so I am just going to ignore it until its time for a cam or head change possibly back to la style heads or eddy magnum heads. check out the pics. if you look close you'll notice the push rod are not in the lifters, thats because of the casting flash inside the head. hope this helps someone who may be having more than average noise from these cams.

100_1510.jpg

100_1509.jpg

100_1512.jpg

100_1513.jpg

100_1518.jpg

100_1521.jpg

100_1519.jpg

i think its just a dodge thing, had a hydralic setup up with adjustable1.6 guess what tick tick tick and wouldn't adjust out, oh well i learned to live with it and real loud mufflers and cd player help alot:toothy7:

As long as everything is right there's nothing wrong with some engine noise. My 360 is very noisy. I've also heard LT1 Chebbies that are very noisy.

roller tip rockers typically are noisey in many makes of engines, I have seen it sbf sbc bbc bbf and our mopars. I say open the exhaust up. (;

-
Back