non A-body question, PT -03 trouble

-

swedefish

Reaction score
Been struggling with an issue on our PT Cruiser.
It got a bad missfire from time to time when warm.
Have turned the ignition key on and off three times to get any fault code but says "done".
Today when going to the store I put the gaspedal to the floor but it stopped revving at 4k rpm (even though I kept the pedal to the floor, with the gear in Park) and acted just like a rev limiter stepped in.
Any help on ideas is very appreciated, haven´t replaced any item yet since I don´t want to throw money at the car.

The rev limiter did step in. The Park/Neutral rev limited on a 03 PT is 3,980 RPM. The only way to get past that is to reprogram the ECM. Now on to the miss. How many miles on the car? Any modifications? Any maintenance?
~Michael

One quick and easy step is to disconnect the battery for several minutes(8-10) and sometimes when you reconnect the ECM will reset. My wifes 07 PT just had a shutdown relay problem and car would start but not run. Reset with the battery trick to drive to friends shop and reset all the parameters with his scanner. Just a thought

The rev limiter did step in. The Park/Neutral rev limited on a 03 PT is 3,980 RPM. The only way to get past that is to reprogram the ECM. Now on to the miss. How many miles on the car? Any modifications? Any maintenance?
~Michael
Thanks Dartman, that did cross my mind for a second.

It got 70k on the odo, no mods, no major maintenance -
except for a oil change
Bought the car about a year ago.
The europeen version of the PT came with a timing chain for the -03 models,
if I´m not missinformed. It´s a 4 valve engine.
Have been considering the plugwires, coil and plugs, but since it missfires only when warm and not all of the time either I´m not sure of the ignition theory.

One quick and easy step is to disconnect the battery for several minutes(8-10) and sometimes when you reconnect the ECM will reset. My wifes 07 PT just had a shutdown relay problem and car would start but not run. Reset with the battery trick to drive to friends shop and reset all the parameters with his scanner. Just a thought
Thanks Darter.
Did have the battery disconnected for 30 minutes, but haven´t had a scan tool connected afterwards.

Had similar sounding issue with wife's 04 PT. Would drive normally, and the occasionally "buck". Turned out to be crank sensor. Also, if replacing sensors, recommendations from most are to use factory sensors and not non-Mopar replacements as these have a high incidence of non-function.

Grant

Had similar sounding issue with wife's 04 PT. Would drive normally, and the occasionally "buck". Turned out to be crank sensor. Also, if replacing sensors, recommendations from most are to use factory sensors and not non-Mopar replacements as these have a high incidence of non-function.

Grant
Thanks Grant
Did it give any code on the dash, or is a scan tool necessary to see if there is a bad sensor?
I´ve also read about to buy factory sensors, both cam and crank sensors if they are to be replaced.

-
Back