Non-mopar mechanical question?

-

bkbond12

Old ones need lovin too..
Reaction score
Hey Everybody,
Quick question....the Fuel Pump on my 1997 GMC Jimmy went out and since I also have an Evap Emission DTC, I figured I'd change the Evap Pressure Sensor (aka fuel pressure sensor) at the same time and see if that resolves the issue since I replaced the gas cap.

Now here is the rub. I contacted my favorite local parts store and the lady (new gal) tells me she can't find the evap pressure sensor in the computer and so she cross referenced it with alldata and finds it. She then tells me it's giving her the same part number as the MAP sensor. Now, I know the parts look quite a bit alike and all, but are they the same sensor? I've crossed reference part numbers on about 10 different sites and haven't find identical part numbers yet.

Just figured if anyone would know, some of you old pros would. Let me know. Thanks.

The EVAP pressure sensor is attached to the fuel pump module. Your parts person can not find a listing for it because I don't think it is available separately.
No it is not the same as a MAP sensor.
~Michael

bkbond12;
Just as a side note the EVAP pressure sensor is not the fuel pressure sensor. It is the fuel tank pressure sensor. It is used to verify the integrity of the EVAP system by measuring the pressure or lack of pressure in the EVAP system. Low pressure would indicate a leak in the EVAP system and high pressure would indicate a blockage in the system. Knowing the exact code would help to point you in the correct direction. Either way the fuel tank pressure sensor should be included with the fuel pump module.
~Michael

I'll have to scan it to get the code because I don't remember off the top of my head. I hate Autozone...I have two favorite shops one burnt down, but has somewhat reopened and that's E & D's racing. The other is a bumper to bumper owned by Butch Meyer's (one of the most honest guys I know). The sensor does not come with all the fuel pumps as I found out by purchasing one off ebay. I can order them for between $21 and $50 for AC Delco. I just thought it was kinda odd that she was telling me that the part number once she found the part was the same.

Go to rockauto.com and check the part numbers (the pics look the same). I know they work on the same principles, just wasn't sure if the size was the same and the voltage output the same. They appear to use the same electrical connector and I bet it would work, just wasn't willing to gamble $50 on it. I think I'll take a trip to U-Wrench It and grab one for $2....might even take a peek at the MAP sensor for kicks and giggles. I'll post up the etc later. Thanks l.

bkbond12
I did some checking and this is what I came up with. They do look the same but if you look at the connector they are different and will not interchange. Also the tank pressure sensor is 9 volt and the MAP sensor is 5 volt.
I looked at Rock Auto and found the tank pressure sensor is AC Delco part #16238399 and the MAP sensor is AC Delco part #213796 or AC Delco Part # 2134434.
Hope that helps and let us know on the trouble code.
~Michael

what evap code is it setting? small leak? large leak? give us the actual P04?? code

Sorry, I cleared the code a couple of weeks prior and it didn't come back on. I got so used to it coming back on, that I hadn't realized that it was still off. Hahahaha. Thanks.

bkbond12;
Just as a side note the EVAP pressure sensor is not the fuel pressure sensor. It is the fuel tank pressure sensor. It is used to verify the integrity of the EVAP system by measuring the pressure or lack of pressure in the EVAP system. Low pressure would indicate a leak in the EVAP system and high pressure would indicate a blockage in the system. Knowing the exact code would help to point you in the correct direction. Either way the fuel tank pressure sensor should be included with the fuel pump module.
~Michael

Thanks, you are right. In my head I was thinking fuel tank pressure sensor, but sometimes, it doesn't translate well to my fingers.

what evap code is it setting? small leak? large leak? give us the actual P04?? code

Hey, it threw the code again....P0440. I picked up a spare evap pressure sensor, and will grab a pressure valve and gas cap next time I'm at the boneyard, but are the canister and solenoid common for failing on the 97' Jimmys, Blazers and Bravadas?

-
Back