Non-Mopar project I've been working on.

-

GeorgeH

Reaction score
This is what I've been working on lately. I've seen some others post up some non-Mopar projects so maybe this will generate some interest. The car belongs to my father in law. He's had this '80 Vette for 27 years, and it's a bit rough. He's not in the best of health, and I was approached by his wife and my wife that it's on his list to drive his vette prettied up. It's not a resto just a paint job, and there are a few other family member that are going to help with the mechanicals.

I'll start with a few pics of what I started with.
The t-tops were blistered up pretty bad took them pretty much down to the raw glass repaired and poylester primed. You can't see in this photo but there were some cracks in the front of the fender.

20160309_165717.jpg

Basically 2 bad paint jobs on it where they painted around and over the hardware. Lots of sanding as I don't trust "fiberglass" chemical strippers. Front bumper was beat up pretty good with layers of cracked paint everywhere.
20160309_165823.jpg

Last edited:
So I started digging, and digging, and digging until sparks flew. What started as hairline cracks....

20160401_133140.jpg

Tin riveted in behind on a previous repair and the rest packed with Tiger hair. Chased the cracks further then what you see here and drilled them. Several piece of fiberglass cloth inside and out to repair. Quite a bit of time wrapped up here.
20160401_133128.jpg

Last edited:
So I started digging, and digging, and digging until sparks flew. What started as hairline cracks....

View attachment 1715050763
Tin riveted in behind on a previous repair and the rest packed with Tiger hair. Chased the cracks further then what you see here and drilled them. Several piece of fiberglass cloth inside and out to repair. Quite a bit of time wrapped up here.
View attachment 1715050764
oh boy - that's lookin' rough!

Cool, and good on you for helping someone fulfill one of their wishes. Don't matter what brand is on the fender.

Going to be a lot of mat and resin before your done!
oh, there was. Masking tape mold on the inside, a couple layers on the outside, pull tape, several layers on the inside, back and forth feathering it out between rounds.

Last edited:
I should add that I've been working on this quite a while. Some of the photos are from winter, and before. Time-Lapse bodywork.

Rear bumper had the typical waves across the top. Spent some time with a heat gun trying to work it out, and used USC bumper repair material. Never used it before, it sanded well and feathers nice. Finished with some Poly-Flex. Every stud and screw in the retainers broke on the way off of course. lol Like the front, much peeling paint and cracking down low where it was never properly sanded.

20160331_201807.jpg

Last edited:
Rear bumper had the typical waves across the top. Spent some time with a heat gun trying to work it out, and used USC bumper repair material. Never used it before, it sand well and feathers nice. fished with some Poly-Flex. Every stud and screw in the retainers broke on the way off of course. lol

View attachment 1715050772
"not a resto just a paint job". Do you still believe that ?:BangHead:

Last Labor Day The FIL and wife came to the house, and I was finishing up a drag bike I was doing. I think I planted the seed. Purple pearl over black that flops from black to bluish to purple. Well he really loved that.lol

20160323_184645.jpg

Last edited:
A few more current pics. The disaster of a fender. I had that bumper on and off more then I can remember

20170522_192650.jpeg

20170522_192835.jpeg

The nose, same deal with the USC and poly-flex. It was really rough across the top, and I didn't want to keep piling on materials. Really could have used a new one. We discussed it and it was a do what you can. Should look decent though.

20170522_192807.jpeg

Last edited:
The interior has an older re-do. It's in fair shape, I don't think he cares as long as he looks good doing it! lol

Another shot that shows off the flop a little better. Aftermarket hood that was trimmed out previously with whatever blew in on top of unsanded gel coat and it was half white and the center greenish resin colored. Air hose took care of that, and I painted the perimeter frame with the pearl and left the center section black.

20170516_145138.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back