non-Mopar running issue

-

abdywgn

dismantler
Reaction score
Please move if in wrong place
daily driver runs well, gas mileage went UP to 25 around town BUT when coming to a stop and putting the clutch in, it runs at an elevated (1500-2000) rpm for a few seconds before returning to normal. It's a 07 Ranger with the 2.3 and 5-speed and almost 90K. It would make more sense if mileage went down but it's gone up by one to one and half MPG. Thoughts? Also time to take in for emissions and I don't know if this throws a code that fails the test. Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions! (I'm going to look at the air filter tomorrow).

Off the top of my head is the throttle body butterfly closing all the way, next would just be a vacuum leak. Those are just guesses. Maybe clean the TB and see where it goes. Mileage may just be due to fuel blend changes and warmer temps. Never been under the hood of one.

Air idle bypass valve is sticking or beginning to fail. Its a solenoid valve that allow air to bypass the throttle blade, usually used for high idle warm up and ease the throttle snapping shut quickly.

Looks like this, usually on the side of the throttle body.

That ^^^^ is the likely culprit.

I remember selling a goodly amount of the valves when I worked at Ford. By definition, that would be a "controled vacuam" leak? Thank-you all!

I remember selling a goodly amount of the valves when I worked at Ford. By definition, that would be a "controled vacuam" leak? Thank-you all!
Leaks to me are unmetered or go to atmosphere. This is really more of a bypass as the air is still comming from the filter box through the intake track to the throttle body. This is important if you have a VAM or MAF metering flow and/or air temperature.

-
Back