Non stock radio placement?

-

4mulaSvaliant

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I have just installed a Radio Delete Signet dash panel and I am looking for suggestions of where else to put the cd player I will have.
Obviously the glove box is an option, and I dont want to put anything below the dash because I will have a tach mounted on the console and I am trying to keep it clean looking.
Any suggestions? Preferably hidden but readily available for cd switching and what not.

What have you guys done?

radio delete.jpg

Dont know why anyone would mess with cd's anymore.Go with a
IPOD set-up. Litterely a thousand songs + at the push of a button.

I had my AM radio converted to AM/FM & rear audio input jacks. I have a switch under the dash that removes the 12V power to the power antenna and activates the external input function and allows my IPOD to play through the radio.

Interior.JPG

my girls dart just had her radio converted to am/fm, ipod too. i think we need better speakers, though.

id say if your gonna stick to cds,and you want the deck hiddin, put it in the glove box,and put a cd changer in the trunk

Thx guys, these are all great ideas! Chances are Ill probley go with the glove box idea. It keeps it up front where I can get to it still. And I can just get a head unit with a remote too. Damn near all of them have remotes now. Never did get that! It will come in handy in this application though.

I am holding out for an AM,FM 8 track from the 1970'es old floor mount system craig power play made.
I still get some good oldies stations on the factory am.
But I I have to have stereo sound and have FM in my lady Victoria when I am with her..:love7: And it will sound great with the right speakers

66 Plymouth Valiant Sedan

valiant 021.jpg

What I did was install an amplifier under my front seat, wire the speakers to the amplifier and get an rca->headphone cable that goes from the amp to my little i-pod... all of my music at the touch of my fingers; pretty invisible too... unless you snoop under my seat :)

Underdash, you can get the housing on Ebay cheap.
Item number: 310061118910

There are others selling them too.

picturescarshowetc005Medium.jpg

thanks MEMIKE. i made the glovebox unit. first i made a cardboard template, then i made it out of metal and covered it all in speaker carpet.

WOW you guys are high tech. I found an old (but great shape) under
dash 8-track I intend to put in my 1973 Dart. I plan to build it as the hot rod I wanted in 1980 but could not afford.

lol i still got the AMFM 8 track in my barracuda but im going with a CD changer in the trunk:read2:

ok since everyone else is postin pics of there setups heres mine (unfinished). made out of 3/4" MDF board. im gonna add a water temp and oil pressure guages under the radio when i get around to it. i also had to add cup holders cuz it sucked drivin around holdnin my soda all the time lol

Picture118.jpg

do u by any chance have dimensions on this, it looks great, id like to do one just like it for mine

ok since everyone else is postin pics of there setups heres mine (unfinished). made out of 3/4" MDF board. im gonna add a water temp and oil pressure guages under the radio when i get around to it. i also had to add cup holders cuz it sucked drivin around holdnin my soda all the time lol

Picture118.jpg

Blues65, who did your conversion? I've heard it could be done but never heard who does it.

Hi '64 Cuda I hadn't monitored this thread recently so sorry for the delayed response, I had my radio modified by Tayman Electrical in Florida. He did a real nice job but be sure to specify where you want the external audio plugs. Gary put mine on the ash tray side because he wasn't familiar with Early A Body dash layout. http://taymanelectrical.samsbiz.com/

There is also a company making a small device that hooks up to your stock AM radio in about two minutes for a I-Pod connection. I will try and find the add.

do u by any chance have dimensions on this, it looks great, id like to do one just like it for mine

no i dont sorry. i have to find a way to secure it down though, as when i accelerate from a dead stop sometimes itll slid back and get wedged under the seat, or if i take a hard turn itll slide over. but i aint got around to it yet as ive been workin my *** off on my 5th ave everyday to get it done before the 4th:clock:

-
Back