Nor Cal 69 Notch

-

iw378

Reaction score
I've been meaning to start a thread on my car for awhile now but I've been super busy with work and fishing and life in general. I'll get caught up on this over the next few weeks as time permits.
Goal, nice clean driver that runs well. I'm not a numbers matching type of guy
I really don't care about all that. I want a car that if I feel like it I can modify, wrench, tweak and tune as I please although I get annoyed with the wrong nuts and bolts. LOL.
I have always liked the notchbacks and I was finally in a position to get one last summer.
Here's a pic on the day I got it home after hauling it back on a trailer for 3 hours.
IMG_0295_zps182dae03.jpg

It has a 1970 318, 8.25 rear end with 3:21 gears in it. Disc brakes in the front. So some work has been done to this car a long time ago it just needs to be refreshed.
Plan, Car was f5 green with black stripes and a vinyl top when born. Gonna happen. Car is a bucket seat car with console. I'll keep it that way. Even though the bucket seats are from a later car. 318/904 combo when born. Not sure where I'll go there I can pick up a 340 but maybe a 360 would be more bang for my buck. Input welcome.
The journey begins.
Luke

Here we go. Got the car back from the painter yesterday 1 day shy of 4 months. He replaced a quarter and a rocker panel. Here she is on the tow truck headed home.

Did some cleaning and drinking of the beer just happy to have her back in my driveway.
This is the first car I had ever had repainted and I was shell shocked for a bit, amazed at how my car had been transformed from the first pic in this thread to this.

'll get caught up with my thread as progress happens.

Put the dash frame in today. When I took it out it seemed to just come right out. Anyways I had a hell of a time getting it back in. I had it powder coated, put a new pad from b e a on it. So I dropped the column stuffed the dash frame in with help from my wife. Landed the front of it on the pinch weld at the lower windshield opening. Put the bolts in the front edge. Here is where it got snotty on either side of the frame there is a slotted arm that bolts the bottom of the frame to the kick panel framing. with the pinch weld bolts made I had to push the bottom of the frame up with alot of force to make the lower bolts Does that seem right ??
Here's a pic of the top side.

Vinyl top is on. I installed the trim and one headlight before the sun went down today.

Put the dash frame in today. When I took it out it seemed to just come right out. Anyways I had a hell of a time getting it back in. I had it powder coated, put a new pad from b e a on it. So I dropped the column stuffed the dash frame in with help from my wife. Landed the front of it on the pinch weld at the lower windshield opening. Put the bolts in the front edge. Here is where it got snotty on either side of the frame there is a slotted arm that bolts the bottom of the frame to the kick panel framing. with the pinch weld bolts made I had to push the bottom of the frame up with alot of force to make the lower bolts Does that seem right ??
Here's a pic of the top side.

Sweet car!

I hang the dash on the lower bolts then use those as a pivot point to tilt the dash forward and land the small bolts at the cowl.

Installed the clips that hold on the front and rear windshield trim and installed the trim, test fit , covered the package tray with black canvas an installed a pair of jl 6x9 speakers. I had my original am radio converted to am fm 4 channel with ipod hook up and had sm electrotech do the work. I installed the speakers and hooked up the stereo to a power supply on my workbench. Sounds great and I still get to use my thumbwheel radio.. !!

Great looking car man!that paint and top go together so well.
Suisun.. I did some gas drilling out near grizzly island, and stayed at the duck club out there. Best striper and sturgeon fishing I've ever done

Cool . I usually catch about 50 to 60 sturgeon a season, between march and april. after that I'm in the ocean. If you get back up here let's go fishing..
Luke

Been busy as hell with work and working on my car nonstop as time allows. I stripped every inch of wire from the car and rewired it with a Ron Francis kit. That took me 4 weekends to "do it right" but everything in the car works now and works good. Fellow member Redfish rebuilt my cluster for me and all of the gauges work perfectly including the ammeter which was converted to a volt meter but I kept the original ammeter face. I test fit the rechromed brake light housings and grilles to make sure all the wires were the right length.
Lights On !!

Took the grilles , and brake lights off and drove my baby back to Nate's shop for cut and buff and will pick it back up this Saturday. In the meantime I started rebuilding my seats. I got a pair of front buckets from fellow member 68gtconvert that needed a complete rebuild. Just what I like to do. I had the frames blasted and today I took the sliders apart to do a real good cleaning.

Take your time taking the sliders apart so you don't mess up the bearing cages. Once I got the sliders apart I took the pcs to the blaster to clean 'em up. Got 'em home and painted then reassembled 'em. They work great now.

Started the seat rebuild today after I got done with the sliders.
Frames were blasted. Then I used self etching primer and a topcoat of por chassis coat black
to finish them off. I am using legendary upholstry.

Been busy as hell with work and working on my car nonstop as time allows. I stripped every inch of wire from the car and rewired it with a Ron Francis kit. That took me 4 weekends to "do it right" but everything in the car works now and works good. Fellow member Redfish rebuilt my cluster for me and all of the gauges work perfectly including the ammeter which was converted to a volt meter but I kept the original ammeter face. I test fit the rechromed brake light housings and grilles to make sure all the wires were the right length.
Lights On !!

Park and headlights at the same time, I like it. Weren't 69's wired so the park lights were off when the headlights were on, park lights only when the switch was half way out? I am not picking it apart, just curious.

I absolutely love your car and the work you are doing. It is stunning.

Park and headlights at the same time, I like it. Weren't 69's wired so the park lights were off when the headlights were on, park lights only when the switch was half way out? I am not picking it apart, just curious.

I absolutely love your car and the work you are doing. It is stunning.
I wired it like that on purpose and thanks for the compliments.
Luke

Really like it. Those wheels give it a bad *** nostalgic look. Very nice. Was the vinyl top difficult to install? ?? It adds a unique touch of class.

I picked up my car from Nate's today. Drove her the 56 miles back home and finally got to put my grilles on for the last time. LOL. Anyways today I got the grilles back in, installed the front fender emblems, hooked up the hood turn indicators, That actually work now. and put on my freshly re chromed front and rear bumpers. Then I got back to work on my passenger bucket seat re foam and re cover. I'll get some pics up tomorrow.
Luke

-
Back