NOS Bill

-

VonCramp

Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but it seems like some Mopar parts guys like to gouge Mopar fans any chance they can. For instance this seller who goes by NOS Bill on eBay seems to think a piece of rubber for the gas tank fill tube that seals off the trunk area is worth $179.00. That seems insane to me. It is a piece of rubber! I love my Barracuda, but I think after this I will not be building anymore Mopars. Prices are just ridiculous for parts. Don't even get me started on a decent set of a body headers. Just venting here. No need to tell me to build a Chevy or send hateful replies. Overall, I guess I feel that just because someone might need your part doesn't mean you should take advantage of them.

Perhaps you are correct but on the other side of the coin-would you sell a 71 Hemicuda conv for the same price of a 318 barracuda conv?You and others have the misconception that people on Mopar sites have no clue about prices of GM Ford Rambler REO Whippett Audi Enzo.Build what you want-AMT and Revell have everything you need.

I hear ya, I really debated about getting a drivers side exhaust heat shield for my dart(right at $100 with shipping, for a piece of tin connected to a gasket)finally bit the bullet and then it is different than the heat shields I have seen on 273s, looks like a 340 heat shield, but the gasket matchs up to the 273 exhaust ports.

You think NOS Bill is high try looking at fmmpar. Truth is they are no longer making a lot of these parts so if it isn't reproduced you have to step up to the plate and pay the piper, hunt for a different seller, buy aftermarket (if available), find a substitue part that you can live with or do without. Luckily the aftermarket is just now coming in with a decent amount of reproduction parts and that has slowed down some of the high prices. It would be alot worse if there was no aftermarket parts.

How about this for $3500.00?

When first saw it several years ago he had it priced at $8999.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-71-72-...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5186fd6229

Attachments

• $(KGrHqVHJEoFDOLn43(IBQ4)WQVrlg~~60_3.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 488
Perhaps you are correct but on the other side of the coin-would you sell a 71 Hemicuda conv for the same price of a 318 barracuda conv?You and others have the misconception that people on Mopar sites have no clue about prices of GM Ford Rambler REO Whippett Audi Enzo.Build what you want-AMT and Revell have everything you need.
Well, sir I wasn't talking about a part for a Hemi Cuda. I was talking about a part that is being reproduced for a 318 Duster. I have no misconceptions. I know what a lot of parts are worth. By the way, I own a 'Cuda and still wouldn't pay $179.00 for a piece of rubber. Especially a tank seal gasket. I am assuming you are a numbers matching kind of guy and that's why this thread seemed to irk you.

The person that buys this Cuda, thats for sale on ebay for 2.7 million at moment, probably would even blink at the $3500 luggage rack.

Attachments

• cuda.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 435
The person that buys this Cuda, thats for sale on ebay for 2.7 million at moment, probably would even blink at the $3500 luggage rack.

I am sure they wouldn't want it if that car didn't come with one. That would put a huge dent in the value of that car.

Well, sir I wasn't talking about a part for a Hemi Cuda. I was talking about a part that is being reproduced for a 318 Duster. I have no misconceptions. I know what a lot of parts are worth. By the way, I own a 'Cuda and still wouldn't pay $179.00 for a piece of rubber. Especially a tank seal gasket. I am assuming you are a numbers matching kind of guy and that's why this thread seemed to irk you.
There is that -assume - word again.Doesn't really matter what a person owns,in fact I don't own a 71 cuda conv,but if I did,I wouldn't put a 20.00 chinese rubber part on it.Noone is forced to buy either part and it is at the owners discretion of which he installs.But the point still stands-NOS parts/ excellent originals/NORS-should always command a higher price than chinese-korean or taiwan.How much?That is between the buyer and the seller.But I would venture a bet that Frank Mitchell has been in this hobby long before you and has bought and sold thousands more parts.I have bought parts from Frank,but I understood that I would get great quality parts and that the price would reflect the same.The old adage still stands- Quality remains long after the price has been forgotten

If you are looking for the round tank grommets, fabo member Motopshycho has repops cheap around $20(I think). The longer ones that actually can be seen from inside the trunk are around, I believe they are steel with rubber coating on them...

Steve, he is looking for this seal.

I was wondering whether it was that or the tank grommet...I did have some of those, but dunno if I have a spare...gonna have to do more organizing...cant see that being $180?? Gotta be aftermarket out there cheaper than that...

If it was, say, the last air grabber available for a Hemi Roadrunner, and it's NOS, and that's the only car that used it, yeah, I could see it. Problem is...NOS does not equal $$$. I recently found out that fuel pacer units are all over eBay for big bucks. Sorry, if there's a hundred thousand of them out there, no deal and you're a fool for trying. Heck, most dealerships gave away all that NOS stuff if someone wanted it.

Huge bucks for some nearly dried-out rubber gasket? Go to hell, screw the 'Nats, it's just a car.

Last week I was in Ontario Ca two of them in Pick n Pull-I have three out in the back here-Riverside has one-pick n pull on hall st has two.They are NOT scarce,but if you don't get out there and find them just pay the man that has them.

I must say, it kind of tickles me to see certain people like these Mopar NOS Ebay guys who command astronomical prices for their shifters, headlight bezels, luggage racks or whatever.......and then *BOOM*...an excellent quality reproduction of it comes out. LOL LOVE that sh**!!! Now you can buy a PAIR of headlight bezels for less than 1/2 of what one NOS one used to cost. It's all about demand.

Unfortunately, so many repros are of lousy quality; and I mostly mean the rubber parts.

The problem as I see it is that there are only so many NOS parts to be had and the sellers know this. The aftermarket parts are cheaper but usually for a reason. Put an NOS and aftermarket part side by side and most people will be able to tell them apart. It comes down to what you want and what you are willing to spend. I myself have no problem with aftermarket as long as the parts fit well. My Dart is NOT a show car and never will be so aftermarket works for me. But if I was restoring a car to all original I might be singing a different tune. JMO

Maybe it's just me but it seems like some Mopar parts guys like to gouge Mopar fans any chance they can. For instance this seller who goes by NOS Bill on eBay seems to think a piece of rubber for the gas tank fill tube that seals off the trunk area is worth $179.00. That seems insane to me. It is a piece of rubber! I love my Barracuda, but I think after this I will not be building anymore Mopars. Prices are just ridiculous for parts. Don't even get me started on a decent set of a body headers. Just venting here. No need to tell me to build a Chevy or send hateful replies. Overall, I guess I feel that just because someone might need your part doesn't mean you should take advantage of them.

What's the deal here? If you aren't willing to look, don't complain about NOS prices. Here's what I think you are looking for - repopped UNDER $30!!! Geeze.
https://www.yearone.com/Product/1966-74-a-b-e-body/a0709

National Moparts in Beaverton, Ontario Canada has them for $29.99. If you search on line usually can get some decent prices.

Why are you looking for NOS parts when you aren't trying to restore a vehicle?

Restoration people are always paying more for NOS parts because they need everything to be authentic. If people weren't willing to pay that for NOS stuff, sellers wouldn't ask it. If you're thrifty and just trying to keep your vehicles on the road, stay away from NOS and buy used or reproduced parts.

National Moparts in Beaverton, Ontario Canada has them for $29.99. If you search on line usually can get some decent prices.
I've dealt with Nigel before, and he is the most knowledgeable Mopar parts guy I've ever met! I would highly recomend these guys to anyone looking for that hard to find part!

-
Back