NOS distributor -just drop it in?

-

TAK65

Reaction score
Hello all,

just received a brand new shiny NOS distributor. Obviously been on the shelf for decades. Are there any precautions or tips I better be aware upon installation? Like a total disassembly and cleaning/re-lubricating?

Thanks again,
Tina

wouldn't be a bad idea, and then you could make sure it has lube where it needs it on it's first fire up.
Once running oil mist will get in there and take over.
Wouldn't be a bad idea to take a look at the J685S timing limit plates from FBO (www.4secondsflat.com) and a Mr Gasket 925B spring curve kit.

Do it now and you won't have to pull it back out and do it later when you find out the difference it makes in how the engine starts and runs. :D

If it spins freely, and it's not rusty inside, and the shafts not bent, drop her in....

wouldn't be a bad idea, and then you could make sure it has lube where it needs it on it's first fire up.
Once running oil mist will get in there and take over.
Wouldn't be a bad idea to take a look at the J685S timing limit plates from FBO (www.4secondsflat.com) and a Mr Gasket 925B spring curve kit.

Do it now and you won't have to pull it back out and do it later when you find out the difference it makes in how the engine starts and runs. :D

Thanks, thought about that too. But mine is a 225 slant six, do you think those kits are available for sixes?

I recall the slant distributors have a place to put oil under the rotor. It is a felt pad. Saturate it with perhaps a light oil like for bicycle chains, though motor oil is probably OK. If points, I would adjust them first w/ a feeler gage. That is just to get close, then you need to tweak them using a dwell meter. If mag pickup check the gap, ideally w/ brass feeler gages, but the closer the better as long as the teeth don't/won't hit the pickup. I recall 0.008" is factory spec.

I recall the slant distributors have a place to put oil under the rotor. It is a felt pad. Saturate it with perhaps a light oil like for bicycle chains, though motor oil is probably OK. If points, I would adjust them first w/ a feeler gage. That is just to get close, then you need to tweak them using a dwell meter. If mag pickup check the gap, ideally w/ brass feeler gages, but the closer the better as long as the teeth don't/won't hit the pickup. I recall 0.008" is factory spec.

V8 points and electronic also have the felt oil pad too. Not a bad idea to partially dissassemble and clean and oil.

Thanks, thought about that too. But mine is a 225 slant six, do you think those kits are available for sixes?

No, I don't think they have the timing plate for the six.
You could check with www.4secondsflat.com and find out for sure and/or what options are available for them if you wanted to.

No need to tear anything apart. Put a drop of oil right between the top of the distributor drive pinion and the distributor body shank. Turn the drive pinion and within a few turns it'll start to turn easily. Now go up to the top of the distributor. Remove the cap and rotor. Use a needle nose pliers to remove the felt disc in the hollow shaft under the rotor. Two drops of oil in there, then replace the felt. Turn the drive pinion until one flyweight's round pivot post comes into clear view through one of the gaps in the distributor plate. One drop of oil at the edge of the pivot post. Turn the pinion half a turn so the other pivot post comes into clear view. One drop of oil. Reinstall the rotor. Install the distributor. Time the engine.

There are no six-cylinder timing plates such as the V8 ones, which are not compatible with the Six.

No need to tear anything apart. Put a drop of oil right between the top of the distributor drive pinion and the distributor body shank. Turn the drive pinion and within a few turns it'll start to turn easily. Now go up to the top of the distributor. Remove the cap and rotor. Use a needle nose pliers to remove the felt disc in the hollow shaft under the rotor. Two drops of oil in there, then replace the felt. Turn the drive pinion until one flyweight's round pivot post comes into clear view through one of the gaps in the distributor plate. One drop of oil at the edge of the pivot post. Turn the pinion half a turn so the other pivot post comes into clear view. One drop of oil. Reinstall the rotor. Install the distributor. Time the engine.

There are no six-cylinder timing plates such as the V8 ones, which are not compatible with the Six.

Thaks everyone for the advise! Especially Dan, very detailed and precise instructions too!

-
Back