NOS Main and Cam Bearing Shelf Wear

-

khughesprime

Reaction score
Alright - a weird story for you guys. I was at the scrap metal place about a year ago. I was looking for stuff whenever I noticed a junk car with boxes full of auto parts in the back seat area. There was a couple of dozen boxes of piston rings set. I thought they were tossed around therefore- bent and no good. I did bring home a couple of hundred boxes of NOS cam and main engine bearings-full sets and loose ones. Most of the bearings look good but the occasional one had light surface rust. These are all Michigan bearings in the yellow boxes (they changed to blue and white packaging before they changes to Clevite altogether) therefore no shrink wrap. Will the light surface rust come off and be good? Are they only good if the wear is on the outside or inside? I got to thin this stuff out or clean and reduce the damage. Thanks

Most of the bearing can be cleaned up with scotchbrite and some cleaning solution.It would be wise to post a pic of a bad one and good one to see the results,and make a better judgement,and post part numbers to ID the parts,Mrmopartech

Thanks for the reply Mr. I'll try to post some pics over the weekend or later when I got time. Thanks for the parts # description offer but I got an era correct michigan catalog off of ebay recently and i thing I got it covered. :thumbup:

Try using some of the finest grade (0000) steel wool to remove the oxidation/rust. It probably wont be an issue, they'll clean up fine Im sure, unless they really are terrible.

So your saying you didn't grab any of the rings? I would love to score a set of .020 or .030 over rings for my 360 (need to go thru the bottom end this winter if at all possible) If you have, let me know.

Sorry, no rings. I did score tons of bearings standard, and oversized .010 .020 .030 . I did take home about 20 boxes of rings that looked OK at first but I thought that it would be too risky to use them so i tossed them. altogether I got the equivilent of 2 50 gal trash cans of boxes to go through. I paid 15 or 20 cents a pound.

-
Back