Not a Mopar, but I need help with my tow vehicle

-

Topless Shark

Reaction score
OK, all of you late model Mechanics.

I have a 1999 Suburban that has developed a very slight acceleration stumble. More of an irritation than any serious problem at this point. I don't yet even have a "check engine" light, it is more a seat-of-the-pants feeling My code reader/analyzer says that the fuel enrichment on Bank 3 and 4 is running almost 25% while on bank 1 and 2 it is only about 2%. My gut feeling is that the computer is barely compensating for an intake leak on the RH side of the 454 Big Block.

So, with a carburetor, on the old dodge pick-up and the Topless Fish I would just get out the Propane Torch or a can of Carb Cleaner and start spraying gaskets and connectors until I found the leak by increasing RPM. Will this work on a newer Fuel Injected engine? Or does the Computer catch the RPM increase and slow it down quicker than I can hear it?

Thanks for any help!

HH

It'll work, but I never recommend spraying anything flammable to check for vacuum leaks. How this dangerous habit got started is beyond me. You ARE spraying fuel on the fire. Use water in a spray bottle. It will do the same and is MUCH safer. It's probably a stupid little rotted vacuum hose somewhere.

-
Back