Not a MOPAR, but...

-

66cuda-s

Reaction score
I found this article interesting from World Magazine, maybe some of you have already seen this.

A guy put a 1963 Pontiac Tempest without engine on eBay with no reserve with a starting bid of $500. Not knowing what he had, it was actually a Super Duty Coupe. One of seven made. It sold for $226,521!!!! Good thing he didn't put in a buy-it now for say... $1,000! He said he considered just junking it.

By the way, does anyone know what this car came with and why it is so desirable (I only keep up with MOPARs)?

Wow I wish my duster was something special like that LOL...anyway heres the ebay auction. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110306170567..it is neat to read through it hehe, he starts off not knowing anything saying that it had a plexiglass window, and is not original. Little does he know it is just a factory race car, I don't know much about pontiac either but looking it up a little it came with a 421 4 Speed (also I just read that it came with 326 emblems, to mask what was really lurking underneath the hood), with aluminum front end and bumpers. So it is a factory lightweight car. It is just a trick car :)...very neat.

Yeah that was like one of six Pontiac Super Duty drag cars. The holy grail of Pontiacdom. Those things make original Hemi Superstock A-Bodies seem common!

Thanks for the information... I have been out of town, so I just read the responses. It was fun to read the auction, especially the part about the duffle bag of mula!

They actually had that on the local news here and interviewed the seller. Was a nice story especially considering all bad economic stuff that fills the rest of the news.

Restore that car it will be worth DOUBLE what the winning bidder paid for it. Good investment! Looks like total junk right now though... lotta work to bring that back to it's former glory. Must be fun trying to track down original SD parts when all of SEVEN were made and GM was out of racing.

Scott Tieman is the Poncho restoration guru, bet he gets the nod for that job.

Good story.

I have a few in some magazines, and one sold at Mecum, the bidder did not pay and Dana Mecum ended up with it, it was a wagon. They had a transaxle, no transmission, so as much weight as possible was over the rearend, which is in the links. Thats how you win the lotto without playing.

That's just too cool. If I would have seen that in someones front yard in the country I wouldn't have given it a second look. Amazing what is still out there after all these years!

-
Back