Not a mopar question

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Long story short. I had the transmission rebuilt and I put it back in today. I assumed the fluid i needed was Dextron/mercon. Its a 97 explorer. I didnt notice untill after that it takes mercon v. So whats the difference does anyone know. Will it be a problem. Ive done some reading and you can use the Mercon V in place of mercon but not vice versa. Is this a marketing thing? Any input would be great. Best car forum I know of. thanks

There is no real difference in the fluid. I both sell it and use it all the time on vehicles. The Dex/Merc fluid is actually rated to work all the way up to Mercon V. Some bottles actually say that and some don't. So to answer your question it will be ok. Also on a side note if you just had the trans. rebuilt there will be no fluid in it so you can just about any type of trans. fluid you want. Just don't mix it with other types afterwards.

Thats kinda what I thought. I figured that the mercon V was the next big thing so ford was trying to push that. Also looking at prices it twices as much. Imagin that one. Thanks for the input I figured it wouldnt hurt anything.

I ran into that crap too. My wife has a 03 Jag. The power steering was low and it stated to use only Jag power steering fluid. I called the dealership and of course the confirmed this, I drove 60 miles one way to buy the "special Jag fluid" when I got there they wanted me to pay $12.00 a quart for Mobile 1 trans fluid. I think not, stopped at at my local parts house for $5.00 had a bottle of "special Jag fluid"

-
Back