NOT a very good sign for the value of mopar muscle cars

-
There are old cars bought to drive and those bought to look at. I owner chooses which.
The rich guy that buys high end old Mopars as investments, he buys the right car at the right price at the right time, just like short on the stock market? soon as he sees his profit he flips it to his rich buddy. The rich guy that buys as an investment, he has his fancy cars, ultra fancy mega garage, its his fun thing....IF he really thinks of it as an investment, he will find he was wrong 99 times out of 100..
No doubt the best examples of collector cars sell privately.
If anyone has paid any attention to auctions the last coupe of years or so,, they see a general trend of prices falling in general,a few exceptions.
As my older generation dies off, IF her are more old Mopars than willing buyers, well, we all know the answer.
For 99% of us, it is a hobby, and realize the costs. Some are just better at not spending as much as another?

^^^ People have dreams. So many times dreams never come true.
In 30 years in this hobby, I have seen literally thousands of such.
And I have seen thousands of restos started, cars taken all aparts, and there they sit...for years. Parts lost, stolen, destroyed, then one day it comes up for sale, only for them to find the hardest thing to sell is one taken all apart!

If you want a retomod just buy a late model car. A nice srt8 will do the job.
I agree, but it astounds me that they are selling Hellcats and Demons with only 23 miles on them. WTF at least drive it enough to know whether you like it. Must have scared the crap out of them or just speculators to say they owned one.

I've been around for 8 decades and have seen classic and collector car prices go through many cycles and trends. In the end, buying a car for an investment is a loosing game! We spend a bunch of hours and money on our cars because we love doing it. Rarely, we will get the money and sweat we've put into them unless you are a commercial builder. A number of the resto-mods sold at BJ and Mecums sold for far less than what the builder had in them. Those resto-mods prices will fall some time in the future just like numbers cars.
Absolutely, been doing it my entire life because I enjoy putting them back on the road, there's only so many original ones and they will keep value, i have no problem with the resto-mod, I've done it myself, I drive them - I don't have money for a museum

And then there the fakes...

Buyers taking standard issue models and re-creating a 340 , 440 , hemi or a 440+6 models !
There is no way in the world I would buy a "restored Muscle car these days for the prices being asked. I would just clone my own. It is so easy to make a car into an original its not funny.
CNC machines are marvelous machines and with the right operator and incentive can pretty much make anything metal, Serial numbers, body numbers, data plates, Transmissions, cast Iron and forged parts are easily remachined and labelled. you can easily cut out rad support numbers or even remove the whole rad support and transplant it into a donor car. Same for the trunk lip, the frame rails etc. Engine block numbers are easily removed and renumbered as you would need to take the block back out of the car to properly examine and verify it. Have you ever seen that done at even a Concours event??

As the money for these originals go up, so does the skulduggery!!

Most ANY new or used car I buy is gonna be worth about nothing in 10 years.
What ever antique car I have probably will be worth something.
If you are old there it is.
If you are young that's something to think about.

And then there the fakes...

Buyers taking standard issue models and re-creating a 340 , 440 , hemi or a 440+6 models !
There is no way in the world I would buy a "restored Muscle car these days for the prices being asked. I would just clone my own. It is so easy to make a car into an original its not funny.
CNC machines are marvelous machines and with the right operator and incentive can pretty much make anything metal, Serial numbers, body numbers, data plates, Transmissions, cast Iron and forged parts are easily remachined and labelled. you can easily cut out rad support numbers or even remove the whole rad support and transplant it into a donor car. Same for the trunk lip, the frame rails etc. Engine block numbers are easily removed and renumbered as you would need to take the block back out of the car to properly examine and verify it. Have you ever seen that done at even a Concours event??

As the money for these originals go up, so does the skulduggery!!
I agree. That's why it's nice to buy a older original and not pay stupid prices. Or buy a nice re-done fastback 67-69 318 cuda with a 340 in it.

Then they’ll b!tch about the sooped up electric washing machine motor with double flux capicitors whining like crazy making the lights dim around the hood.

Muscle cars are meant to be driven. If they are rotting away maybe it's a little selfish in not selling to someone who can wake that machine back to life again IMO. Newer Mopars for sure will never be the same than the pre 76 ones. I'll just try to enjoy em as long as I can and stay happy to see them around for a couple of years more. Definitely more enjoyable when you care most about driving the hell out them rather than nut and bolt resto or even "clones or tribute" cars that cost as much. Built your own, drive it, have fun, pass it to the newer generation

-
Back