Not an A body. A fun Dakota build

-
if the entire engine is a reman (and not just the short block) i would expect to see some "taddlers" on there somewhere
back when i was in the reman business we would glue them to the heads, in key places
full_Tech_Article_Melt_Tabs_M2.jpg

(this one the warranty is void)

if the entire engine is a reman (and not just the short block) i would expect to see some "taddlers" on there somewhere
back when i was in the reman business we would glue them to the heads, in key places
View attachment 1716057088

(this one the warranty is void)
Oh it definitely has those, but I figured they were from the junkyard. Is that possible?

Funny thing is I told my son last night these dang cylinders look like they came out of the machine shop last week, lol.
I'm glad ya'll think so too.

It is very (too?) clean even for only 90k.

Really? Very interesting. So the engine fire possibly caused by a bad reman engine install looks even more plausible.
Unless the salvage yard is offering a warranty on the engine it's far more likely that you have scored a fresh or very recently rebuilt motor. Congratulations on that, I have been fortunate on two occasions to find a recently rebuilt engine in a salvage vehicle that I bought from insurance auctions.

Found the vin for the donor vehicle. Let's see if it matches the block.

Nice build. I just finished a 360 Magnum build for my Son's 99 Dakota and we also painted/added the 73 Road Runner style hood. . Nice running and driving truck.

photo0.jpeg

photo1.jpeg

20220624_142100.jpg

20220624_142109.jpg

20220815_211808.jpg

20220816_195250.jpg

20220816_195256.jpg

20220816_195306.jpg

Cool build. 8.25’s are fairly strong. If upgrading to a limited slip, upgrade to 29 spline axles. Up to 96 they were 27, 97-04 they’re 29. Look up www.doctordiff.com Not sure if the oem 29 spline axles from the 97-up are the same length as your 1st gen, maybe after market. Will be following this build.

Sure looks like you got lucky on a reman engine. Score!!!!!
You said it first. And to the others that were saying the same thing. You nailed it! The knowledge at this place amazes me. There were three of these tags on the motor. This is the only one that was legible. Up at the top it says "remanufactured by non-" then can't read the rest. Anybody have any ideas what this engine is? Is that some kind of a Julian date code?

20230228_185315_1677636166979.jpg

You said it first. And to the others that were saying the same thing. You nailed it! The knowledge at this place amazes me. There were three of these tags on the motor. This is the only one that was legible. Up at the top it says "remanufactured by non-" then can't read the rest. Anybody have any ideas what this engine is? Is that some kind of a Julian date code?

View attachment 1716057314
Have no idea who or how it's coded. At this point, I would just take it at face value. You got a bitchin clean ready to rock engine at a totally bitchin price. I wouldn't worry too much about pulling caps or heads. I'd have a cam slammed in that thing so fast it'd make your head spin! Lol! Run that thing and have fun doing it!!

Have no idea who or how it's coded. At this point, I would just take it at face value. You got a bitchin clean ready to rock engine at a totally bitchin price. I wouldn't worry too much about pulling caps or heads. I'd have a cam slammed in that thing so fast it'd make your head spin! Lol! Run that thing and have fun doing it!!
Yes sir, I like the way you think. I'm thinking call Oregon can grinders give them the details. Which right now I'm thinking Edelbrock air gap, 750 CFM carb (MP 380hp crate clone), valve springs etc, manual transmission probably the NV3500 and rear gear ratio to be determined.

I just sent a core in to them get reground. You won't be disappointed. I asked around here and received some good advice. I'll post up a link to my thread.

Reground Cam

ah ok cool.. i'm a bit jealous.. finding a 360 near me right now is crazy.. guys want 500+ for stuff that is just nasty
I hear ya. I'm feeling a little bit like I won the lottery. LOL
At this point I really don't care if it's a Mabbco special.

Yep it's got them everywhere. On the heads too.
Which makes sense on a remaned engine
They know you are buying one because you allready killed one, and they want to be sure if they are replacing one under warranty it's because they messed up, not you

Nice to find out, are you gonna call the junkyard and give em a few extra hundred for the engine?

Which makes sense on a remaned engine
They know you are buying one because you allready killed one, and they want to be sure if they are replacing one under warranty it's because they messed up, not you

Nice to find out, are you gonna call the junkyard and give em a few extra hundred for the engine?
Oh of course! After I run it for a bit and make sure it's good. Maybe 200-300k miles..........
It has made me wonder what the PO did to kill a 5.9 Magnum at 90k and have to replace it.

Oh of course! After I run it for a bit and make sure it's good. Maybe 200-300k miles..........
It has made me wonder what the PO did to kill a 5.9 Magnum at 90k and have to replace it.
People do stupid ****... i had a friend kill 2 slant 6's by running them out of oil...

-
Back