Not an A body but still a Mopar

-

dvorak

Reaction score
I have a 1956 Plymouth Savoy that I need a little help with. The speedo cable broke on it and the search has begun. I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction to find one or an instert for one before driving season gets here. Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks

You can probably get one from Big M auto salvage. He's located somewhere in northern CA, but I'm not sure of the city. John is a regular poster on www.forwardlook.net, and has a stellar reputation as an affordable parts source for old finned Mopars.

I have a cable, but it looks really bad and I don't think it's worth trying to salvage. I'm converting my '56 Belvedere to a modern speedometer with an electric drive.

So.... the cable insert broke and not the housing?? If it is the innerds I had the same thing happen on my 53 years ago and I bought a universal insert at Big "A" or NAPA (can't remember which) that I cut to length. Just be sure your cable housing isn't damaged or kinked and clean/flush the interior as best you can. You may already know but these will fail due to moisture getting in the innerds and rusting the core to the housing so look for the source of the moisture. Be careful when you cut the insert as the want to fray. I believe I cut mine with a heavy tin snip and then cleaned up the end with a bench grinder.

-
Back