Not complainin' one bit...

-

Cuprum-74

Moparus Fanaticus
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Ok... The Duster went from averaging 12-13 mpg to about 16.4 mpg... Pretty amazing what a blown head gasket can do to performance. 2/3rds of it being freeway driving between 55-65. I replaced a the head gasket 2 days ago.

I never expected the duster to have mileage this high... I thought the 12-13 mpg was normal.

I have a pretty built up 1990 360 with about 9.6-9.7 compression with Speed-pro pistons.
Hyd. Roller cam with .509/.522 lift
Roller valvetrain installed on worked over 308 heads. An aluminum Air Gap manifold topped with a well worn 625 CFM Carter AFB (which I've rebuilt three times).
A999 Trans with a 2200ish stall Torque Converter and a 3.23:1 rear end ratio.
Right now I'm using 15W40 Rotella semi-syn. I might go back to 10W30 syn.

So any bets I can improve this further? Don't get me wrong I'm still happy with the results just seeing if I can hit the 17+ mpg mark.

I did a 67 mile round trip to Salt Lake City today and filled up with 4.098 gallons after I came back. BTW I topped off the tank before the trip.

Calculated this using GPS which read 67.2. My odometer calculated 68.3 miles.

Water injection spiked with glycol as a lubricant. lol

Thats funny right there, except it didn't help my gas mileage until I replaced it.
I even had to clean the head a little bit because of the leftover caramelized sugar ash that was still on the chambers and exhaust ports.

-
Back