Not getting fuel... big issuse!

-

myasylum

Reaction score
I have a new engine that I am tiring to start. I was all exited. The thing is while I was turning it over I noticed I was getting no fuel.
How long do you have to crank before you get fuel?

I have a clear filter so I can see if there is any fuel, and I saw none.
I took off the line and there was no fuel. As gross as it sounds I was curious and I sucked on the hose. There WAS fuel! So is that then telling me that the pump is bad?

It is a brand new Summit pump. I also noticed a few minutes after I sucked up fuel, it was leaking a bit by the fuel line, not a lot though.

Also while the line was off I turned over the engine... no fuel came out the end.

What do you suggest???

Thanks!

Could be a bad fuel pump,i get dead new stuff all the time,just my luck!How about your pushrod in the block for the pump,was it new?They can wear just enough to where they wont work.

Check your fuel line routing maybe as well,sharp turns,etc.

For how long did you crank the engine at the attempt to start the engine?

pushrod in the block???

I didn't even know there was one? Can you see it from the out side?

I always wonder about these pumps anyway because when they go in it just seems so awkward, like maybe they are not sitting in right.

I cranked it about 5 times about 10 seconds each.

I just seemed weird that I when I sucked on the hose by mouth it came up just fine.

pushrod in the block???

I didn't even know there was one? Can you see it from the out side?

I always wonder about these pumps anyway because when they go in it just seems so awkward, like maybe they are not sitting in right.

Big or small block?Thought bb for some reason.

No rod. A slight leak around any clamp/connection- the mech pump would rather suck the air leak. I tried 2 summit holley electrics; too much pressure, with 2 new regulators. Got a Carter mech from Autozone, forgot I had it plumbed up.Using a remote starter button for 20 seconds- shot gas all over the place.
Small has an eccentric that the mech arm rides on; had one come loose, and spin on the cam snout, once. (timing never jumped, just no gas.)

So you suggest fisrt fix the small leak, and then a different fuel pump?
The only other fuel pump I have is a used one, but at least I know it works. I just didn't want to use a old pump on a new engine, but?? I guess?

What might I look at if that doesn't solve it??

Thanks!!

A mech pump will suck air before fuel. Check for leaks first, then retry it. sucking a mouthful of gas- more vacuum than the pump(been there).
Correct any leaks, check everything; try again. No gas, lube old pump and try it. If good, replace. If not, put a piece of wire against eccentric, and see if it moves enough.
I can't believe that I had an eccentric come loose, and didn't jump the chain.
Lucky that time.
Just something to consider; I feel for your problems, but after owning sb 's since 1970, have seen weirder things happen.

"put a piece of wire against eccentric, and see if it moves enough"

explain please??

... and for the record, no gas actually entered my mouth!:D

Take the fuel line off the carb, manually fill the carb with gas, replace the line and try to start the engine.
That way you will know if the fuel pump works (if the carb stays full of fuel) and you are not using the starter to prime the fuel system.
Cranking a fresh motor over very long is bad for your bearings and camshaft and lifters (no oil pressure).

How much fuel should you put in the carb? Which part do you put it in?

I can't try again till tomorrow. The winter clock is ticking. Sucks!

The pump has an arm (like a lever) that works against a fairly stiff internal spring. If you hold the pump tightly in one hand, you can barely work the arm manually. If you can, you will hear the diaphragm "pumping" air each time you work the arm.

On the cam shaft is an eccentric lobe that the pump's arm sits ON TOP of. If you accidentally installed the pump with the arm UNDER the lobe, it can't pump fuel (the arm won't go up and down).

The comment about a "wire on the eccentric" means that you can use a stiff piece of wire (coat hanger) and reach inside the hole in the block where the pump mounts. Rest the wire ON TOP of the eccentric lobe and bump the engine a few times to notice what happens to the wire. It should ride up and down in your hand. When you feel like the lobe is at the bottom of its stroke, install the pump, making sure the arm goes on TOP, not UNDER the lobe. Then, give it a go...

If you want to try the gas-down-the-carb method, it doesn't take much. If the pump did work and you watched what happens when you press the accelerator pedal, you would see a shot of fuel probably less than a teaspoon spray into the carb's throat. Dump it straight down the throat. Or... get a can of starter fluid (ether) and give it a good spray down the top.

Jerry

Holley- just steal the wife's turkey baster (replace it fast) and shoot gas into the vents. Rochester/ afb's/ edel- just put a small hose on the inlet, use the same baster. (the cajun baster comes with a big syringe on it, that is perfect; but no matter how good you clean it out, the rubber is shot) lol

You did put the eccentric on the cam didn't you?with the cupped washer on the right way,the eccentric has a keyway in it that goes on cam key,washer goes with hollow towards cam,eccentric is like a bicycle crank it pushes the fuel pump arm down spring returns up(arm goes under eccentric dehind timing cover)remove pump and look into hole see if eccentric is tight to cam if not remove cover and secure.

Are you sure the fuel lines are connected to the pump in correct order?

Just thought I would throw that out there.

The arm goes over or under the eccentric? I seem to have read two different things.

"arm goes under eccentric", "arm goes on TOP, not UNDER the lobe"

-
Back