Not new, just a name change

-

ev2duster

Reaction score
This is my 1972 Duster. I first saw it in 1979 sitting in a town house complex on a busy road where we used to cruise. We stopped in one day and saw the single left tail pipe. I never gave the car another thought, especially once it disappeared. In July 2000 I grabbed the newspaper and looked in the Classic/Antique Car for sale listings. I saw a very non-descript for sale ad. "1972 Plymouth Duster. $2000.00" and a phone number. I called, there was no answer so I left a message. Days later I received a return call from the seller. He said that I was the only reply he got. I asked where the car was. It was about 5 miles away from my house so I grabbed a couple hundred dollars and hit the road. As I approached the house I saw the car. It was the same car from all of those years ago! After looking it over I decided to ask what the seller would take. Then came the normal back and forth bs, I finally offered $1300.00. We shook hands and it's mine.

After getting it back home I looked at the fender tag. What a strange car. The paint color and cloth insert seats were correct for the car! I paid closer to the title only to realize that I am the second owner. A few years later it was time to give it a face lift. I added the stripes, wheels/tires and dual mirrors at that time.

I sent a photo of it the original owners daughter. She replied telling me that her Mother would have loved to have seen it again. She also confirmed that her Mom bought it new from Falls Church Chrysler Plymouth in Virginia.

duster.jpg

interior.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like that Duster is in the proper hands and it was meant to be. Good looking car and what a great story. Welcome to FABO from NY! Glad you can join us!

Like your new user ID, nice an electric Duster?

Nice car OP...... You done good to grab this at 1300.00 even in 2000..... I normally prefer the callout (twister, 340, etc) with the stripes but your car changed my thought on it now....

I have never seen buckets with the inserts (definitely not in 72.) More pics if you want lol....

Welcome aboard....

JW

I used to live in Northern Virginia and worked in Falls Church, I bet I’ve seen that car.

Beautiful car, gorgeous interior.

I used to live in Northern Virginia and worked in Falls Church, I bet I’ve seen that car.

Beautiful car, gorgeous interior.
She lived in Oakton right on 123, the same side of the road as James Madison Shell. I have a repair invoice from the Midas in Tysons Corner. When I removed what was left of the cardboard glove box I found a few match books from Joe Theisman's restaurant. I don't think the car ever went too far from home.

Nice car OP...... You done good to grab this at 1300.00 even in 2000..... I normally prefer the callout (twister, 340, etc) with the stripes but your car changed my thought on it now....

I have never seen buckets with the inserts (definitely not in 72.) More pics if you want lol....

Welcome aboard....

JW
It had the terrible 4" thick split bench with integrated head rests.

-
Back