Not putting vinyl top back on - problems with trim?

-

66dartdave

Reaction score
My 74 Scamp originally had a vinyl roof. I've decided that I will NOT be replacing the vinyl roof. I see rear window gaskets "for vinyl roofs", but not for non-vinyl roof cars. Is there a difference? Am I going to have to find new bright work for around the rear window and the roof drip rails? Any other things I might have a problem with. I know I will have to grind off the little fittings around the bottom of the rear roof pillar where the narrow "chrome" strip went to separate the vinyl roof from the rest of the body. Any problems I'm not seeing?

Thanks,

dave

The gasket should be the same for vinyl or non vinyl roof.
I can't see why there would be a difference :scratch:

Personally i would never own a car with a vinyl roof.I have 72 Scamp parts car with a vinyl top and the roof pillars are rusted threw on both sides from moisture getting under the vinyl.

The roof on my Scamp is completely rusted over, but it is only surface rust, most likely from the vinyl top that was on it. Looks like the vinyl just turned to rust. A lot of it will just brush off with your hand. I hope that's the case, anyway. Seems pretty solid throughout, though.

dave

66dartdave said:
The roof on my Scamp is completely rusted over, but it is only surface rust, most likely from the vinyl top that was on it. Looks like the vinyl just turned to rust. A lot of it will just brush off with your hand. I hope that's the case, anyway. Seems pretty solid throughout, though.

dave

Yep...know how ya feel. We get surface rust under vinyl even in AZ!!

8305ca0b.jpg

8305ca0b.jpg

My 68 dart had a vinyl top, i peeled it off because it was dry rotted. I was not as lucky as you guys, my roof was rusted pretty good. After i brushed off the rust i could see pin holes through the roof. Good metal around the outside but thin and pin holes through the center. I need to find the best way to fix this. :?

-
Back