Not rusting away

-

howco4

Reaction score
After looking at some the the rust in other A-bodies in this forum, I feel pretty lucky. Just pulled the mats in the car today and took some pics. After buying a Northwest car, with rust in the qtr panels, I figured the floor and trunk must be a mess, What a surprise. Must include some pics and a smiley face! :toothy7: (70 Dart Swinger)

Floor 1.jpg

Floor 2.jpg

Trunk 1.jpg

my floor boards are perfect but the quarters where done. thats a saskatchewan car :toothy7:

Not bad at all, you must be one of those guys that have good luck all the time, I suppose you got it for a song too. My whole floor front to back was shot to hell and them some and that was the parts that hadn't rusted away. But then again if it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any. It will definately save you alot of money and work and reduce your restoration time immensely!!

Are you sure that a previous owner didn't already do some rust prevention since your floor boards are white (not body color)? At any rate, it looks like you found a solid car!!

I have that warm fuzzy feeling inside about mine and they have never been touched! The floor boards saw daylight last month for the first time since the car was born....

rear passengers side foot well.jpg

drivers foot well.jpg

The cars original color was white. I plan on stripping the whole car. I found that the firewall had 4 coats of paint, black, blue, pink, white, plus primer. Now thas rust prevention, Ha.

I'm lucky in that department too. Just a touch of surface rust from a leaky heater core.

howco4, thats nothing, if you think your floor is rusted, you should see mine. I have like 2 holes on the pass. side and 1 on the driver. I live in s.e. kansas and the humidity here is really high. There is rust all over my car, but nothing you can do about it now except fix it.

my floors on my cuda are very good concidering it is a mn car. just a lil surface rust by the drivers feet from a leaky windsheild :headbang: but my dart was rusty, the rear passengers side there were pin holes i could see the ground

I've looked at a few of Northwest cars, (Seattle area), for parts gathering. All were severly rusted. One thing I might add: Storing your vehicle under a tarp is almost as bad as no tarp at all. In a moist climate you get what is called the greenhouse effect, where the car rusts from the inside out. I did notice that virtually every nut and bolt I've removed from my car had some rust on it. (thank God for WD40). Also I laugh at car for sale adds that say "minor" qtr panel rust. Theres no such thing, it's all major.

I was lucky the floor in my Valiant was in nice shape,
when i replcaed the carpet.

I did find some West Coast beach sand in the back, under the rear seat,
LOL.

Nice to have a West Coast car, compared to the
normal Northeast Rusted cars, that are normally found here.

-
Back