Not So Power Brakes, Help!

-

Egorena51313

Reaction score
Bought a 68 Cuda with Year One Disc conversion on front wheels with booster and master cylinder. Need to put all 200#'s to stop the car. Checked brake shoes, drums and wheel cylinders in back. It has two different wheel cylinders based on bleed valve. One valve is super thin and the other is larger. What diameter each is, I don't know. Funny thing happened. I had the back end jacked up for about a week and when I finished and drove down the driveway, the brakes worked awesome! The pedal was smooth and the car stopped on a dime. I drove down the street all excited and could hardly stop the car when I came to the stop sign. Go figure! I have check the booster, does not leak, wheel cylinders in back are working, I checked them with drums off and both work. Adjusted drums by the book, no help. Have bled the system several times. Any suggestions?????:mumum:

I will have to take the ms off and check that. I found the invoice from year one, it is the DK63P kit. Comes with proportioning valve which I have not seen on car. I will follow line going back. It is not by the splitter block that sits below the ms where the lines go to and split up.

One inch ID on master cyl. Can the line routing be wrong to splitter block? None of my wheels lock up, it is like I don't have much braking power and the pedal is super hard. I increased the gap about a quarter inch between the master and the booster. My logic to do this was to get the vacuum to assist me a bit more. According to year one, the booster is only a 5.5 inch diameter,so that helps just a little.

I first thought that but I check it and it does not leak and I started the engine with master cyl. off and the booster works very smoothly. I did some reading and I will be looking for a 7/8 bore master cylinder to replace the one I have. I came home after work and pulled it off completely, it is not a one inch but a 1 and 1/8 inch. The lousy lever arrangement by year one is really bad to the point that the booster really has to work to make things happen. Reducing the bore should take care of the problem. We'll see. I got the Careon online parts book and have been looking for something. I should be able to find something and order thorough OReilly, hopefully?

Honestly, I would just ditch the booster and go manual.

+1

If you insist in sticking with the booster, I had a guy who goes by Booster Dewey rebuild one back in 1999 and the job was superb. Google him or ask a
member from Oregon about Booster Dewey.

But A bodies do not need and work better without - power brakes.

Got a response from year one. They're saying it is the booster, but if it doesn't leak, it could be the vacuum line collapsing internally. I will check that out and will consider ditching the booster! Thanks for everything guys and I will keep you tuned in to the rest of the story. Good Day!

If you need some advice or parts, try calling the ram man.

I recommended him to another member yesterday and he PM'ed me back saying that they had a nice informative 20 minute phone call and he was a great guy. He specializes in brakes and brake parts and knows the interchangeability.

http://www.theramman.com/

7200 Winters St
Fort Worth, TX 76120
Telephone: 817.429.0105

-
Back