Not sure slite slip from 2 to 3

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Hi guys this is the second time out with the Dart,tranny fluid is good and red, also had the TF2 kit put in it.It shifts too early so pressure adjustment is in order.When we leave the line not giving it it up shifts fine 1st 2 3rd ,but if I shift from a stop 1st to 2 nice firm shift still not giving it yet tho then going to 3rd seams like a slight slip but does go into 3rd.I thought it could be my B&M shifter not lined up right but that checks out.any thoughts.

Could be that pressure adjustment thats needed. Did you remove the accumulator spring? That helps firm it up also.
Glad to see you are putting some miles on it.

Could be that pressure adjustment thats needed. Did you remove the accumulator spring? That helps firm it up also.
Glad to see you are putting some miles on it.

Thanks ya its great geting some miles on her.I had a buddy who is a very good mechinac do the kit,I just check my level and its a little past the max mark,thing is it shifts into 3rd fine than anouther time just a little hesatation.The wife will kill me if the tranny has to come out,its not the spending thing just down time.

It's most likely the throttle pressure adjustment. It not only regulates the speed at which the trans. shifts through gears but also regulates clutch pack pressure. If it's not adjusted right one of the most common problems is the 2-3 shift is mushy or slips.

BTW: Blocking the accumulator only helps the 1-2 shift. Does nothing for the 2-3 shift. Also never just remove the spring. If you remove the spring always install a blocker rod or the accumulator will slam back and forth in there and break.

I'm only guessing Snake but this might be a case of a small quirk that you just get used to. My transmission has a certain way it likes to be treated and after 46 years I drive the way it likes to be driven.

Hi guys this is the second time out with the Dart,tranny fluid is good and red, also had the TF2 kit put in it.It shifts too early so pressure adjustment is in order.When we leave the line not giving it it up shifts fine 1st 2 3rd ,but if I shift from a stop 1st to 2 nice firm shift still not giving it yet tho then going to 3rd seams like a slight slip but does go into 3rd.I thought it could be my B&M shifter not lined up right but that checks out.any thoughts.

TF2 is a TransGo number, so I guess that's what you have? Did you install the restrictor into the passage in the transmission case? That is exactly for the problem you describe. Usually, instead of a soft or slipping shift, you get a "false" hard shift, but I have seen them shift as you describe without the restrictor. What's happening is, it is trying to shift into third while it is still engaged in second. This usually results in a harsh 2-3 upshift, but I have seen it go the other way. The Torqueflite doesn't have many factory faults, but that is one. I always use a 1/8" flat pipe plug. I just tap the passage in the case to 1/8" pipe, drill a 1/8" hole in the center of the plug and screw it in tight. it's a bit more permanent inmy mind and does the same thing.

It's most likely the throttle pressure adjustment. It not only regulates the speed at which the trans. shifts through gears but also regulates clutch pack pressure. If it's not adjusted right one of the most common problems is the 2-3 shift is mushy or slips.

BTW: Blocking the accumulator only helps the 1-2 shift. Does nothing for the 2-3 shift. Also never just remove the spring. If you remove the spring always install a blocker rod or the accumulator will slam back and forth in there and break.

Right now at the carb ther is no more adjustment my rod with the slot in it is turned all the way forward against my throttle pin,its like its too short.The only outher adjustment is down at the leaver,on the rod there is a small block with a bolt to adjust it.Not sure if this means anything but if I grab the leaver down at the tranny and move it it goes back a bit easy then it hits a spot were its harder to move it back,almost like a spring action.What ya think fishy68.should I adjust it down there so the slop is almost gone?

TF2 is a TransGo number, so I guess that's what you have? Did you install the restrictor into the passage in the transmission case? That is exactly for the problem you describe. Usually, instead of a soft or slipping shift, you get a "false" hard shift, but I have seen them shift as you describe without the restrictor. What's happening is, it is trying to shift into third while it is still engaged in second. This usually results in a harsh 2-3 upshift, but I have seen it go the other way. The Torqueflite doesn't have many factory faults, but that is one. I always use a 1/8" flat pipe plug. I just tap the passage in the case to 1/8" pipe, drill a 1/8" hole in the center of the plug and screw it in tight. it's a bit more permanent inmy mind and does the same thing.

As for installing the kit I did not do this a buddy did it,he is also well know for his tranny work a top notch Mechinac around here.

First I heard this.I wonder why it wasnt in my Cheetah v/b instructions? Is this breakage a maybe thing or for sure gonna happen.

As for installing the kit I did not do this a buddy did it,he is also well know for his tranny work a top notch Mechinac around here.

Certainly not questioning your friend's work....but I've seen top notch mechanics make mistakes before. I mean, you're tryin to diagnose somethin. The only way to properly do that is cover all the bases.

About the throttle pressure linkage. Proper adjustment is with the gas pedal on the floor, the kickdown lever on the transmission should be ALL the way back as far as it can go. If it's not, the adjustment is incorrect. ...and yes, the lever at the transmission is spring loaded. Lastly, a return spring on the throttle pressure linkage itself (not just the carburetor linkage) must be installed to pull the throttle pressure linkage back ALL the way forward. If it does not return all the way forward it can cause harsher than wanted shifts at part throttle.

Your right my friend good mechinacs have goof in the past.There is the return spring for booth throttle and kick down.Now I have notice that when at WOT the leaver can move back more maybe 1/4 or so,no room at carb to adjust so should I try adjusting at the lower rod were that block is with the bolt?

Your right my friend good mechinacs have goof in the past.There is the return spring for booth throttle and kick down.Now I have notice that when at WOT the leaver can move back more maybe 1/4 or so,no room at carb to adjust so should I try adjusting at the lower rod were that block is with the bolt?

Absatively, posalutely. Adjust the lock bolt and block so that the transmission lever is ALL the way back when the pedal is on the floor. That'll probably help. Not sure it'll solve the problem, but if there's room left for the lever to go back at full throttle, it's not adjusted right. I would start with that.

Sounds to me like somebody else knows how a torqueflite works. Everybody seems to think the accumulator is a cushion for the 1-2 shift and it's just not so. The spring can't cushion anything because in the 1-2 shift the accumulator moves AWAY from it. The only cushioning comes from hydraulic action sorta like a hydraulic shock absorber. I remember a TSB out on torqueflites about harsh shifts due to the accumulator getting STUCK in the end of the bore. This would simulate the deal with the block rod. All anybody has to do is look at the hydraulic flow diagram of the torqueflite and you can see how it works.

For me when it comes to trannys not my fortay.I must admit I rely on this site big time.Thanksss all

First I heard this.I wonder why it wasnt in my Cheetah v/b instructions? Is this breakage a maybe thing or for sure gonna happen.

I'm not positive but my guess is the Cheetah valve body re-routes oil so it doesn't even go to the accumulator so it wouldn't need to be blocked. That's why they didn't say anything about it.

I haven't personally ran accross anyone using an oem valve body that removed the spring and didn't block the rod so I haven't actually seen it but my guess is it's a very good possibility it can happen because without a spring or rod to hold the accumulator it'll slam back and forth against the case and valve body with a pretty violent force.

Ok got the kick down so at wot the leaver is all the way back,still there is a little delay going from 2 to 3.As said if I leave it in D going from 1 to 2 to 3rd its good.If we cant figure it out I may have to take it to a tranny shop.

Ok got the kick down so at wot the leaver is all the way back,still there is a little delay going from 2 to 3.As said if I leave it in D going from 1 to 2 to 3rd its good.If we cant figure it out I may have to take it to a tranny shop.

Then I go back to the restrictor thing.The more away from stock you get the torqueflite, the more prevalent the 2-3 shift thing shows up.....unless you use that restrictor. It restricts flluid flow just enough to stop third gear from engaging before second has a chance to finish shifting. But as I said, it's rare to see that cause a soft shift. It CAN however cause a delayed or harsher than normal shift, since 2 and 3 are trying to engage at the same time. If the restrictor has been installed, then I would get the magnifying glass out to the valve body......literally.

...........Hey Don , what is the bands set at?........how many springs in the front servo, or is it the controlled load servo..........i take it u have the restrictor plug in the case 4 the front clutch pack..........was this rebuilt, if so what r the clearances in the clutch packs?.................kim...........p/m me if u r buddy needs any help..........

...........Hey Don , what is the bands set at?........how many springs in the front servo, or is it the controlled load servo..........i take it u have the restrictor plug in the case 4 the front clutch pack..........was this rebuilt, if so what r the clearances in the clutch packs?.................kim...........p/m me if u r buddy needs any help..........

Hi Kim,that intake is sweet,as for the tranny it was not rebuilt befor the kit as far as i know.I took a chance on installing the tranny,the old seller said it shifted good no slips and the fluid was nice and red.He was selling it tho so who knows.I havent had a chance to talk to my buddy that installed yhe kit,what should i ask him about the kit install.Thanksss.

-
Back