Not sure what my problem is!!!!!!!!

-

440nika

Reaction score
Hey Guys, My problem is that my car surges forward when I'm stopped and the car is running. Its not real bad but definately noticable. I adjusted the idleing down which helped but can't go any futher or it stalls in gear. I also noticed that when I'm on the open road my car acts as though it should have another gear or something. At 50 or 60 MPH it sounds like the tranny is screaming. I don't know if these are related but figured I'd mention it. A little info. on the car is 70' Dart Swinger: 440 motor with a 650 DP Holley carb.: 727 trans. with shift kit and stock convertor: 3:55 suregrip rearend. I had a 2800 stall speed convertor but it made the car feel like the tranny was slipping on pull outs. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, please though if your not sure don't send me on wild goose chase. I've been trying to track these problems down all summer so now its time to ask someone who knows. Thanks Dave

Hey Guys, My problem is that my car surges forward when I'm stopped and the car is running. Its not real bad but definately noticable. I adjusted the idleing down which helped but can't go any futher or it stalls in gear. I also noticed that when I'm on the open road my car acts as though it should have another gear or something. At 50 or 60 MPH it sounds like the tranny is screaming. I don't know if these are related but figured I'd mention it. A little info. on the car is 70' Dart Swinger: 440 motor with a 650 DP Holley carb.: 727 trans. with shift kit and stock convertor: 3:55 suregrip rearend. I had a 2800 stall speed convertor but it made the car feel like the tranny was slipping on pull outs. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, please though if your not sure don't send me on wild goose chase. I've been trying to track these problems down all summer so now its time to ask someone who knows. Thanks Dave

What cam do you have and whats the idle rpm.? A stock 12 inch 440 converter will not work well with a lot of duration and low vacuum. What is the rear gear ratio? That will account for it screaming at cruising speed.

What cam do you have and whats the idle rpm.? A stock 12 inch 440 converter will not work well with a lot of duration and low vacuum. What is the rear gear ratio? That will account for it screaming at cruising speed.

Thanks for the help: my cam is a "Blue Racer" part number WG 1106. On the cam spec. sheet under cam timing @.050 the duration is 204 - intake and 216 - exhaust. I have the idle set at 700 rpm. I hope that helps but if not just let me know what info you need ok. The rear is a 3:55. Thanks again, Dave

What size rear tires? Does the trans. shift through all the gears?

I'm running 246-60-15 rear tires and it does shift through all the gears. It shifts fast at pull out through them but it does hit them all. Thanks Dave

With 3.55,s and the tall tire,your gears will be more around low 3.??.If screaming on the hwy?sounds like it,s time to have your tranny checked for slippage.Mine screams with 255/60/15,s and 4.10,s,60mph@3500rpm.

didn`t notice if you said you have a tachometer. the quick shifting at start off can be corrected by adjusting your kickdown(throttle pressure) linkage,you do have one?
if so just remember,the longer the rod the longer the shift,uts best to find an empty road and make several small adjustments as you go,

With 3.55,s and the tall tire,your gears will be more around low 3.??.If screaming on the hwy?sounds like it,s time to have your tranny checked for slippage.Mine screams with 255/60/15,s and 4.10,s,60mph@3500rpm.

I honestly don't know but I had the tranny completely rebuild before installing it and a B&M shift kit put in. It pulls out great and shifts through the gears fine but like I mentioned at 50 or 60 it feels like it needs another gear.

Do you have a kickdown linkage/cable?If not get one on there quick,as you,ll fry your tranny running without it.

Do you have a kickdown linkage/cable?If not get one on there quick,as you,ll fry your tranny running without it.

Yep I do. I put Lokar cables for the kickdown and throttle but I am going to play with the adjustment on the kickdown a little bit to try and help the quick shifts. I have pictures in my gallery of the hook ups if maybe anyone wants to check them out to see if there is any obvious problems with the install of them. Thanks Dave

Did it have the same problem with the 2500 converter??
If so, the stock converter is the problem. It will not not slip at low speeds, esp with a performance cam.
You need a bit more slippage (higher stall) in the converter.

As was said,find a long straight road and adjust your kickdown in 1/4 inch incraments til preffered shifting.Good luck.

Did it have the same problem with the 2500 converter??
If so, the stock converter is the problem. It will not not slip at low speeds, esp with a performance cam.
You need a bit more slippage (higher stall) in the converter.

Hey I might be getting somewhere here. I just got back from talking with a local guy who also suggested like you guys a higher than stock converter. Now my question would be does anyone know what the stock converter's stall speed is? I had a 2800 stall in the car and didn't like it because it gave the car a feeling like the tranny was slipping on normal pull outs all the time. So if I didn't like the 2800 and the stock is not high enough how do I know what converter I need? Or should I just put the 2800 back in the car? Thanks Dave

If that cam is 204 degrees at .050" lift it isn't much more than stock so it shouldn't need a high stall converter. You definitely have a serious problem if you can't turn the idle down below 700 with that cam. Maybe a vacuum leak, maybe the idle mixture adjustments aren't set right, maybe a bad carb. Heck I've got a 234 degree cam at .050 and can set my idle down to 650 in drive with no problem and it stays running. It's lumpy but it runs. Your engine sure shouldn't be screaming at 60 either with 3.55 gears and tires that tall. That's real close to my setup an I have no problem running 70 down the hwy. You need to get a tach and put in it and see what the rpm is at 60. That'll tell you if something is slipping. Also for the quick shifting trans., lengthen the cable (adjust the adjuster so it pulls the cable farther back when at rest) to make it shift higher. I have the Lokar cables on mine and what I did is have someone hold the throttle pedal all the way down (engine shut off) and adjust the Lokar cable so it pulled the throttle pressure linkage (kickdown linkage) all the way. That gives the highest upshift. Most stock torqueflites will shift well before 5000 even adjusted all the way. If you do that you should be ok but you might have to back it off just a little if it revs too much before it shifts.

LOL love the title,and et your kick down set up.

LOL love the title,and et your kick down set up.

Im not sure I understand what "et your kick down set up" means!! Are you guys saying that I can possibly get rid of that surgeing by adjusting the kick down cable out a little?

-
Back