Not Sure Where To Start A/C Install Up Date Wiring System Update

-

22dog22

Reaction score
Some back ground 69 notchback Cuda, have 318 auto with center console, I have installed under dash Knee Knocker A/C unit have not charged the system, on the fence if I want to use it, had a friend of mine along for a ride , he had no leg room with seat all the way back, looked at Classic Air Sure fit for the Cuda but reading seems like problems with the use of the factory heating controls also the cost, then looked into the system from Old Air Products there Hurricane IP-1100 unit, which is a few hundred less , it would replace the factory heating unit, the unit I have in the car now I totally rebuilt new alum. heater core, fan motor , case was resealed with all new gaskets . foam, I would like to sale it as a complete assembly, Not sure want to ask for it.

I know there are people on this Web site that have installed A/C units, I think if I would use the Old Air unit I would need to close off the fire wall opening from the heater motor , does anyone make a cover plate since the car is painted and fire wall is also painted , so to weld in a panel I would need to repaint it.

Looking at the installation direction looks like you need 2 power hook ups, so this give me a other new problem, should I update the wiring system to handle the A/C system and electric fan they say you should add, again I know people here have installed new wiring kits. How did you handle removing the bulk head connector on the firewall and closing up the holes from them ?

AC Photos 2023-06-02 001.JPG

AC Photos 2023-06-02 002.JPG

I installed the Classic Auto Air Exact Fit (or Sure Fit?) unit about 12-15 years ago. It is very high quality, and it works great. At the time, the only problem was that the instructions were really bad. There were some REALLY bad pictures, they called the same part by different names in different places in the instructions and the wiring diagram was almost worthless. I did muddle my way through though. Their tech people were very helpful. I would highly recommend their unit. I remember that I had to use their instructions to alter my AC controls to work with their cables, but it worked fine. I do remember that one of their pictures showing the position of the Temp Lever did NOT match what they were saying in the instructions. It looks like you have an original AC car, so your controls will likely have to be altered differently. I would call Classic Auto to ask any questions/concerns. Ask if the instructions have been updated. One more thing. Their kit came with a one-piece plastic glove box liner that was a bit shallower than the original. This is needed because the unit under the dash took up a bit more space than my original non-AC one did. That glove box liner did NOT EVEN come close to fitting. I had to buy an aftermarket liner and alter it to be the right depth. However, the unit does work very well.

Hi thank you for your input on the Classic Air unit, what did you do to power up the unit ? since there is no extra fuses to pick up the power for the A/C

-
Back