Notes on Ball Joints - UCA Bushing change

-

74desertduster

Reaction score
Just some observations after changing out my UCAs and lower ball joints today on 71 Swinger.

Kroil - I would urge anybody doing this job or any job with possibly frozen bolts to get some of this stuff. My cam bolts cam loose with hardly any effort and tapped right out. I soaked them with Kroil overnight.

Pickle forks from Harbor Freight - Junk...totally destroyed 2 of em. Finally just hit the spindle corner a few times downward to break the upper ball joint loose.

Use something stronger than a Sharpie to mark cam washers for reinstall. My marks got wiped away on the caster bolt so who knows what I have until I get to the alignment shop....which I plan to do anyway.

I was able to remove the lower ball joint bolts by sticking a wrench in through the brake springs etc to hold the nut. So I did not have to remove any brake hardware. Maybe everybody knows this but wanted to mention it.

Lastly, I was somewhat concerned about doing this job as I have never done any front end work except bearings and brakes....and I have been around a while. If you need to do it, go for it. Definitely not the hardest job I have had to do. Not even close.

Thanks for everything here guys!

Brian

Nothing to add except Kroil is awesome stuff, tons better than PB Blaster.

Kroil- Ya, I don't know what the torque specs are for the cam bolts but after soaking mine overnight I used a couple 3/4" wrenches and they came loose and slid right out. I was in a hurry so paid more to get some in a hurry but worth every penny.

Im getting ready to do this swap on my 71 Swinger stock sbp 9inch drums. I have a 74 Dart Sport donor car with bbp manual disc. My concern is with the tie rod ends. Will my stock 71 Swinger tie rods work with the 73 spindles? What about the idler an pitman arms? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Ken

i have used kroil for years best stuff for loosening bolts and nuts. can get it at most and industrial supply store, and some auto parts
moe

-
Back