Now the valvetrain.... Arghhhh!!!

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
OK, the fun and games continue. Naturally, I installed the pushrods and they're too long.... Questions:

How do I measure the correct lenght to buy / make a set?

How much pre-load do I place on the hyd. lifters when measuring?

Any & all advice is, as always,appreciated.Please jump in!

I'm running Crane 1.6 Rollers w/ adjusters and Comp Cams lifters. I need a ball & cup arrangement. Who/where/how much do these pushrods cost. I just bought a brand new MSD billet distributor yesterday since I didn't have to buy any necessary stuff. Now I have to explain to my wife why I have to spend $*** this week....

She's sooooo gonna kick my *** :eye:

you can get the push rods from Comp they make a ball and cup set up. Check the tech archive there is an article in there for preload on HI lifters I runn solid so :?: , you will also need an adjustable push rod gauge to get the size it looks like a rod but is threaded so that you can adjust it to get the right lift and then measure it. Comp also has those.

Comp or Crane might be able to tell you what size you need also. Its that 1.6 ratio you have that is messin you up if you are trying to run the stock pushrods.

I am guessing that the pushrods you have are for a solid cam with adjustable rockers. Comp also make a shorter pushrod (7.23 inches) that is made to be used with hydraulic lifters when using adjustable rocker arms. They will have a ball end for the lifter and a cup end for the rockers.
Part number for Comp is 7821-16. These should work fine with a hyd cam. Mopar also makes them, # P90006.

Standard rule for hydraulics is to take all the slack out of the adjuster then turn it 1 1/2 turns to set preload.

BigEdsGarage said:
I am guessing that the pushrods you have are for a solid cam with adjustable rockers. Comp also make a shorter pushrod (7.23 inches) that is made to be used with hydraulic lifters when using adjustable rocker arms. They will have a ball end for the lifter and a cup end for the rockers.
Part number for Comp is 7821-16. These should work fine with a hyd cam. Mopar also makes them, # P90006.

Standard rule for hydraulics is to take all the slack out of the adjuster then turn it 1 1/2 turns to set preload.

I had bought the Hyd. pushrods for use w/ adj. rockers. I'll double check the part # tonight when I get to the garage. I'm making a pair of adjustable pushrods out of some old rods my buddy had. Me thinks the heads have been shaved a wee bit too prior to me getting them (and having them milled again....) so there's another possibility. I may have to cc the heads and definitely mearuse the cylinders.....

Thanks for the input guys. I'll be back with more answers, and most likely questions :scratch:

OK.... I got it figured out. I used the adjustable pushrod I made and found I need the 7.23 push rods. I also checked the valve/piston clearance and I had waaay greater than the .100-.120 recommended clearance. The rollers just touch the valve retainers. A little bit of clearancing is in order.

All in all, not bad.... I'm actually thinking I might drive this sonofabitch someday :thumleft:

Thanks for the advice guys. You were on the money :cheers:

-
Back