NP435 to A833OD Questions

-

JeffTheMarine

Reaction score
Ok well here is the situation that I have. I know it is not an A Body but it is a Mopar question and a slant six also. I currently have a 225 /6 with a NP435 trans and an 11" clutch with the low position starter. I am going to be converting to an A833 OD trans and I have the bellhousing from the truck that had the OD trans and it has a high starter and a smaller clutch. Does anyone know if the NP435 bell will work with the OD trans so I dont have to switch my clutch and flywheel and everything.

Thanks for the help

Jeff

No. It will not. The two transmissions have a different input shaft bearing retainer diameter. The OD units has one all it's own. You will need an OD bell housing.

Look at it from a different angle....the bearing retainer and register hole can be made compatible. If the retainer is larger than the hole then bore out the hole...if the retainer is smaller then machine a 'ring' as a spacer and press it into the bell.
The single most critical aspect of mixin' n matchin' trans and bells is the length of the input shaft and the position of the input splines in relation to the clutch disc.

And don't worry about the trans bolt pattern, you can weld new lugs to the bell if needed.

You really need the 833 OD bell and the 10 inch clutch and flywheel. Mixing, matching and fabricating could work, but it sounds like you have most of the right parts already.

I have the correct od bell and flywheel if you need it.
pm me if you need it.

-
Back