Nubs on Cop Wheels

-
I don't see a problem with those, but I don't think I'd mess with 195's unless you're looking for that skinny wheel look up front. The 255's out back should be fine, and I would just run 225/60/15's up front. It's a good sized tire, fills up the wheel opening, and shouldn't require much if anything in the way of fitting/trimming. You could also consider 215/65/15's, they're a little narrower so the fender lip would be less of a concern, and they're 26" tall so they'll be a little closer in height to the rear tires. And they should still fit, although you might have to do some adjusting of the lower fender to bumper brace or maybe some trimming at the bottom front corner of the fender lip.

I would also consider this combo, which would keep the tire height pretty close front and back.
Kinda like what we did back in the late 70's

50's on back.png

If you can find a set of 255/50/15's. The math works but who actually makes a tire that size?

If you can find a set of 255/50/15's. The math works but who actually makes a tire that size?

Just like one of you hard core Mopar guys! Splitting hairs over the fact that the tire may not be made anymore!!!

Didn't the early year(1987-?)Dakotas have these wheels also??? I know the Dakotas were 5 lug when they first came out, went to 6 lug later on (not sure what years, though)...... Just a thought.....

You could also consider 215/65/15's, they're a little narrower so the fender lip would be less of a concern, and they're 26" tall so they'll be a little closer in height to the rear tires. And they should still fit, although you might have to do some adjusting of the lower fender to bumper brace or maybe some trimming at the bottom front corner of the fender lip.
I have 215 70 14s all around on my 75 Duster. I am at factory spec ride height. This is almost identical size to the 215 65 15 noted above . This is on a 5.5" wide factory steel wheel. Some info I found says that should be 3.75 backspace. I am no wheel expert, so cant say how your wheel width and backspace would affect position.
Edit: they should sit in exactly the same position. both have 12mm offset. I plugged info into this calculator. (link resets to default info)
Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

2016-12-16 17.49.00.jpg

2016-12-16 17.47.04.jpg

Last edited:
Just like one of you hard core Mopar guys! Splitting hairs over the fact that the tire may not be made anymore!!!
Actually a very important point...especially since you are looking for 2 different sizes. You should look at specific tires you are considering and see if both are available. If you think it's bad for 15s, try 14s:rofl: ...and I wanted whitewalls. :BangHead: lol

Hows this for low budget. Shifter collars from 67 automatic column shift (note set screw hole in lower collar) , take a cutoff wheel to them to knock off the shifter nub and indicator. then grind em slightly concave where your going to add filler, and fill em up with JB weld, then sand smooth, apply body filler, prime and paint. I made these a few years ago when floor shifter collars were hard to get, now the 68-69 ones are repopped for about $100, so its almost not worth it to mod them, since i have a ton of time in them.

View attachment 1714998458

View attachment 1714998459
If you have the column covers to fit a 76 automatic column I'm interested.

For all who threw their 2 cents in.
I did the wheels in black. The first 2 are done and I swapped the old 255/60r15s on to the rims so I could sand and paint the other pair. Here is how they look on the car
IMG_6074.JPG
IMG_6071.JPG
IMG_6072.JPG
IMG_6082.JPG

Are you adding beauty rings and poverty caps?
Nope, I really like how raw yet clean and fresh they look against the red car and it's black stripe. Simple chrome lugnuts go along with the limited chrome on the car...

Last edited:
Bob, here's that front view of my 215 70 14s. Again same dimension as 215 65 15 that I suggested for your fronts. I think they look good up front and would not want any bigger. They do look small on the back, but that is just what a stock Duster looks like...

2017-03-24 18.49.40.jpg

2017-03-24 18.50.31.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Keith, my constant curiosity about replicating the width of the tire that is on the front end of Misty is brought on by Aaron's unending insistance that we maintain the same with. The 235/60/15 is only .5" taller and .4" narrower then what I have on there now. He scoffs at any suggestion that the 235 is too wide and isn't going to work and work well in reality. Got to get one and see.

Hey Keith, my constant curiosity about replicating the width of the tire that is on the front end of Misty is brought on by Aaron's unending insistance that we maintain the same with. The 235/60/15 is only .5" taller and .4" narrower then what I have on there now. He scoffs at any suggestion that the 235 is too wide and isn't going to work and work well in reality. Got to get one and see.
So what's the hold-up? :lol:
Will your tire guy mount them to 'test' and take them back if no-go?
I may have asked you...do you have state inspections? That, and some guys won't even mount tires that might be too big are often limiting factors. What somebody got away with years ago and what you can run now may not be the same.
Now get em on there already! LOL

So what's the hold-up? :lol:
Will your tire guy mount them to 'test' and take them back if no-go?
I may have asked you...do you have state inspections? That, and some guys won't even mount tires that might be too big are often limiting factors. What somebody got away with years ago and what you can run now may not be the same.
Now get em on there already! LOL
The hold up
Is we are fighting the war on many fronts. The 215/70/15 were mail order tires. Aaron says they are WAY TO SKINNY.
So I sent them back. As adriver just said they would fit and have no issue. The geometry makes sense. However the geometry for the 235/60/15 does as well, since they are almost exactly the same diameter as what is in the wheelwell now. The 245/60/14 on stock rallies are not cool from a safety stand point, but the 235/60/15 on a cop wheel would be ok I'm going to ask a local tire dealer to get me 2 when my refund hits my debit card from the online tire store , who were great to deal with by the way.

Misty is at a small garage in town this weekend. I had the use of a lift. I wanted to plumb her up and fire up. All was going well then stuck floats in the carb caused fuel leak and a power steering hose with the wrong fitting caused another. Game over for start up this weekend. Very disapointed. I need to go with the boys this morning, put the wheels back on, push her back on to the car carrier and bring her home and lick my wounds...
Why on earth am I doing this?
IMG_6442.JPG

Your doing great. Sometimes you have to take a break. Slow and steady- One comment about the wheels, when the Duster was designed the rear fenders were stretched over a existing platform. The rear end is about two inches short on each side , so you can fit nice fat tires on the back by pushing the rim size outward a couple inches. There is space. Look at any stock duster from the back and you will see how narrow it looks.Perfect for hot rodders! Even without changing the rim you can fit fat tires out back. The front is not so forgiving, so you can't go quite as wide. Just trying to help D/D. Murphy's Law when working on cars. Check and recheck.

Your doing great. Sometimes you have to take a break. Slow and steady- One comment about the wheels, when the Duster was designed the rear fenders were stretched over a existing platform. The rear end is about two inches short on each side , so you can fit nice fat tires on the back by pushing the rim size outward a couple inches. There is space. Look at any stock duster from the back and you will see how narrow it looks.Perfect for hot rodders! Even without changing the rim you can fit fat tires out back. The front is not so forgiving, so you can't go quite as wide. Just trying to help D/D. Murphy's Law when working on cars. Check and recheck.
Exactly what I was showing in pics. No harm in trying the big tires though.
Why on earth am I doing this?
Cause its more fun than pulling weeds? :thumbsup:

After much debate with my son, I am ordering 215/65/15 for the front and 245/60/15 for the rear. Final combo!

-
Back