Nuetral safety switch ?

-

DARTDALE

Reaction score
Just tried to start newly rebuilt 360 with rebuilt 727. Will the nuetral safety switch not allow the car to start, by not activating the starter relay? I can jump across relay and spin motor. Also I have put trans. fluid in but I am still able to roll the car around with the colum shift in park.will that change once the convertor fills up?Will that also correct the nuetral safety switch issue?
How do you check the safety switch? Can I bypass it for now?

if you can roll the car around with it in park you need to adjust the shift linkage, the converter has nothing to do with park. I would not bypass the starter relay because if the car is in reverse or drive it will take off once you have it started and the converter picks up the fluid.

68Valsedan is right. The shift linkage being out of adjustment is probably why it won't start in park also. Adjust the shifter so it locks in park and it should start.

BTW: If you do just bypass the switch and the thing isn't in park your looking at quite a disaster to possible a dead person. It could take off (either way depending how screwed up the shift linkage is) and run over somebody. How do I know this? I bought a car from some idiots that had the switch bypassed and I didn't know it and one day it wastn' in park good and I fired it up and it took off and dang near plowed through my garage wall. I'm glad nobody was in front of it.

Yeah those were my thoughts as well. I will go under and adjust the linkage. I have seen a lot of drag race cars at george rays start in gear,and sometimes it causes quite a stir for those around the car.Thanks for the info guys.

-
Back