Nuetral switch help

-

zigs

Reaction score
Ok tipical column to floor shift console swap 68 Dart. The shifter has the nuetral switch on it and i have the three prong NSS. I know that the middle prong goes to the starter relay and the other two are back up lights. I have gotten myself confused, i have read a dozen peoples explanation for the same thing told diffrently. I have what I think is a console harness, wire in picture on the left. The wire on the right was pluged into it but i think was home made. I'm assuming that this plugs into the switch on the shifter. Where does the other end plug into?. I need a wire by wire discription from NNS to relay, console to where and how does this all get its power. You guessed it I Know little about auto electric.
could reallty use some help.

Attachments

• Dart 001.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 151
  • Dart progress 001.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 144
You need to understand the neutral safety switch is and always was on the transmission.
A separate switch is used for reverse lamps. Its' original home was on the steering column. adding a console shifter requires adding wire to relocate that switch with the shifter move.
To make production simpler the reverse lamp switch was put on the trans so its plug and play no matter where the shifter is. Rather than redesign the trans case for another switch they redesigned one internal part and the neutral safety switch so the reverse lamp switch could share that location.

I know that the NSS is in the transmission. I also know that the console is seperate from the NSS. I have to find out where the console plugs into and where the back up lights plug into and from what I understand is that the middle pin on the NSS goes to the starter relay , is that what actuates the NSS?

-
Back