numbers matching ?

-

Painter

Reaction score
What is the norm for time between the date on the motor to the date of the car being built? The reason I`m asking is my motor for my car is cast on 5-27-69 the car was to be built on 12-02-69 the sticker on the drivers door say 11-1969 the motor according to the numbers on the front of the block say it was assembled on 6-27-69 yet the VIN is stamped on the pad on the block.

I know things can happen but this seems abit to far apart to me what is your guy`s take?

I've seen blocks cast several months before a cars build date, so I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Most of the guys that don't have the original engines try to get one made 2-3 months before the build date.

One more thing I will add to this mess, the intake seems to be ligit it was cast 9-24-69 which seems to be around the correct time for a car being built in late Nov. of 69. The heads are not original so someone has been there I`m now wondering if someone may have add the cars VIN to the block?

I would like to see some pic`s of others blocks of the VIN pad to see what the stampings look like as far the font size an spacing of the letters an numbers would any one care to share?

here is mine hope it helps....

DSC07567.JPG

Thanks for the photo that was a very big help, if yours is original then I think mine is not.

My 67 Barracuda was ordered on 4-6-67 and was delivered on 5-5-67. The block was cast 4-17-67. More than often the casting date is a month or up to several months before the build date.

Here's my 340 block (that's awaiting a rebuild)

Its casting date is 7-10-69 (which I believe is July 10, 69) and the build date for the motor is March 2 1970 (based upon the numbers stamped onto the front). That's 8 months difference. If it's actualy cast Oct. 7 then it's still 5 months.

IMG_9308.JPG

Painter said:
What is the norm for time between the date on the motor to the date of the car being built? The reason I`m asking is my motor for my car is cast on 5-27-69 the car was to be built on 12-02-69 the sticker on the drivers door say 11-1969 the motor according to the numbers on the front of the block say it was assembled on 6-27-69 yet the VIN is stamped on the pad on the block.

I know things can happen but this seems abit to far apart to me what is your guy`s take?

Why you ask such a thing?
Is someone sold you a car which is supposed to be number matching?

Or are you just curios what you got?

I'am not crazy about #matching cars, where i'm stand it is just a same if the freakin' numbers match or not, if i like the car i buy it, if i get bored with it i sell it, numbers or no numbers, i don't care...

And , now, don't get me wrong, i love MoPars, numbers match or not, but i allways look what i wan't, not what everybody want me to buy...

-
Back