numbers matching

-

ir3333

Reaction score
a friend says anything with a vin reference must be there.
but heads,carb,exhaust rad air cleaner,seats and most anything else
could be changed.

a friend says anything with a vin reference must be there.
but heads,carb,exhaust rad air cleaner,seats and most anything else
could be changed.

there is no way to prove a bench seat or carb is the exact one that came with a car. he would be correct

my argument was, although not referenced to the vin there are correct numbers for a 70 radiator, 68 heads, '72 carb etc and that these should be the correct number for the year and model of the vehicle.

my argument was, although not referenced to the vin there are correct numbers for a 70 radiator, 68 heads, '72 carb etc and that these should be the correct number for the year and model of the vehicle.

There is a serious lack of information on what you are talking about. While the VIN isn't on every part there are date codes and part numbers that will give you an idea on how many parts have been changed over the years.

There is a serious lack of information on what you are talking about. While the VIN isn't on every part there are date codes and part numbers that will give you an idea on how many parts have been changed over the years.

Really

I agree with 73AbodEE. What you are really looking for in a number matching car are the vin referenced components. Those are the only things that matter.

Many other things, carb, heads, manifolds and so on, will be date coded and have a part number, but these can be replaced.

They are replaced all the time in high end restorations. You can look at 65dartchargers thread as an example.

With these non-vin referenced parts (a carburetor for example), you just need to find one with the right casting/list number, and date code.

If a component has the right casting/list number, and date code, even if it is a replacement part, it is correct for the car.

Hell.... if it has the right casting/list number, and date code, you may unknowingly, be putting your original back on. It's just switched hands and been through a few swap meets over the past couple decades.

I agree with 73AbodEE. What you are really looking for in a number matching car are the vin referenced components. Those are the only things that matter.

Many other things, carb, heads, manifolds and so on, will be date coded and have a part number, but these can be replaced.

They are replaced all the time in high end restorations. You can look at 65dartchargers thread as an example.

With these non-vin referenced parts (a carburetor for example), you just need to find one with the right casting/list number, and date code.

If a component has the right casting/list number, and date code, even if it is a replacement part, it is correct for the car.

Hell.... if it has the right casting/list number, and date code, you may unknowingly, be putting your original back on. It's just switched hands and been through a few swap meets over the past couple decades.

exactly this ^^^^^^^^

should a '68 340 Dart have a carburetor with the numbers on it that would be found on a '68 340 Dart carburetor?
so...the carburetor numbers would be a match,but not necessarily original.

should a '68 340 Dart have a carburetor with the numbers on it that would be found on a '68 340 Dart carburetor?

Bingo. You are 100% correct. It seems cudascott didn't get the point or was being a wise guy, I am not sure which.

yes

Bingo. You are 100% correct. It seems cudascott didn't get the point or was being a wise guy, I am not sure which.

yes

you can date code it to the specific year and engine, but you cant show it is the actual original one that it left the factory with

Doesn't need to be the "original" item that came with the car in 99% of cases. Now, if you're talking about the "Bloomington Ghost" level of vehicle, yes, it needs to be documented, and usually is!! Geof

-
Back