O/S intake valves...

-

805moparkid

Slant and AFX Guy
Reaction score
ok well i have spent a good 3 hrs looking on various valve manufacture sites and summit at there valves...

the common O/S valves are the 1.7/1.44... 4.765 long and .375 stem

well i want to go up to a 1.75 or 1.78 intake...

after some reading i have found that

the Ford 300 intake is 1.783 head and 4.750 long with a .342 stem... good but im not diggin the .015 shorter installed height...

the ford 289 intake is a 1.78 head and 4.863 long with a .342 stem... with these i have the worry of rocker geometry like with the 318 valves... which i still havn't seen a sweep for to see if the geometry is right...

lastly i found on Ferra's site a hemi valve 1.945 head and 4.865 long... but a .312 stem... so it would have to be ground down (head size)...

i am really shooting for a very small stem... at least 5/16 or 7mm...

anybody have any answers...

Call Ferrea (or your perferred valve maker) and talk with them. They could have one from a different car you wouldn't normally think would have that size. That or they could custom make you a set, really its only money :twisted:

Why not just get 1.88 360 intake valves and have them ground to the diameter you desire and back cut?

I never thought about it before, what are the 1.7 + 1.44 valves originally from?

This is what I have, built for daily driving under 5.000rpm waiting it's trans plant
I copied it from my restoration thread, is this still a good build for my use??
Thank you for your time, I will add a picture
It's a 100% pure EV-8 grade stainless steel.
OVERSIZE of 1.70" and 1.44". Standard stem diameter for stock or aftermarket 3/8ths guides, stock OAL. Stems are hard chrome plated, these feature a 55Rc hardened wafer tippet, and accept the stock valve locks and retainers.
Thank you 66aCUDA for using the barter system and building my new head that my 170 low deck /6 will enjoy . nothing like having a new and better head ready to go.

Attachments

• Picture%20222%20122.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 235
Why not just get 1.88 360 intake valves and have them ground to the diameter you desire and back cut?

well i dont like that they are over .1 longer... i think the 318 vavles are just .1 longer... i would do that but i havn't seen a sweep on them...

I never thought about it before, what are the 1.7 + 1.44 valves originally from?

no idea....

This is what I have, built for daily driving under 5.000rpm waiting it's trans plant
I copied it from my restoration thread, is this still a good build for my use??
Thank you for your time, I will add a picture
It's a 100% pure EV-8 grade stainless steel.
OVERSIZE of 1.70" and 1.44". Standard stem diameter for stock or aftermarket 3/8ths guides, stock OAL. Stems are hard chrome plated, these feature a 55Rc hardened wafer tippet, and accept the stock valve locks and retainers.
Thank you 66aCUDA for using the barter system and building my new head that my 170 low deck /6 will enjoy . nothing like having a new and better head ready to go.

i have those valves in it already mike...

Call Ferrea (or your perferred valve maker) and talk with them. They could have one from a different car you wouldn't normally think would have that size. That or they could custom make you a set, really its only money :twisted:

yea 60 bucks a valve... lol

I got my 1.70/1.44's from engnbldr on eBay. Stainless, came with locks and bronze guides.

One of the local racers built his race /6 with 318 valves in the late '90s. (1.78/1.50) but I don't remember what all he said was required to make them fit.

One of the local racers built his race /6 with 318 valves in the late '90s. (1.78/1.50) but I don't remember what all he said was required to make them fit.

thats what SS is running but they are almost 5" long, 2 TENTHS longer... i dont want to run into geometry issues...

i found Ford 289 intake valves that are 1.78 intake head diameter, 4.865 long ( 1 tenth longer) and a .360 tip (.060 longer)...

so these valves allow a little taller valves without running into geometry issues, have the bigger head, and run a 11/32 stem so they take up less port... only thing is i may have to offset the guide a little but will have to see...

So these valves have been good to you? and held up well ?
Frank said something about small block Early/old ford valves do work
And well if I remember right :happy1: I hope you don't mind me posting another picture in this thread for info
I am just noticing that not all /6 heads have this in/on them
I circled it in yellow

Thank you again for your/everyones time :happy1:

Attachments

• Picture%20222%20123.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 189
So these valves have been good to you? and held up well ?
Frank said something about small block Early/old ford valves do work
And well if I remember right :happy1: I hope you don't mind me posting another picture in this thread for info
I am just noticing that not all /6 heads have this in/on them
I circled it in yellow

Thank you again for your/everyones time :happy1:
it must be the head casting... mine has a flat area right there and then the angle where the valves are...

the valves are great... never had any issue on them... just need a bigger intake...

Thank you srixon4405, If I am reading it right (reading comprehension) is not my strong point, My head with the half moon looking thing (pump) burns better.
Or did I misunderstand what I was reading, and I read it twice, ok three times ? :shaking2:

dont feel bad... i have read that so many times and i dont have any idea either...

i took it as a bad thing lol...

Kid here's a option on valves if you can contact the seller in his description of the valve train parts the valves listed are 8mm stem at 1.715 also it state special order valves available

Alt URL: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-170-198-225-SLANT-SIX-PERFORMANCE-VALVE-TRAIN-/300707967270

As for the article memike I believe the early casting heads are less desirable. But honestly I'm new to the slant world and only taking this info from what I've read I believe it say pretty much the same thing in the 6cyl mopar performance book as well
Hope this helps
Aaron

Kid here's a option on valves if you can contact the seller in his description of the valve train parts the valves listed are 8mm stem at 1.715 also it state special order valves available

Alt URL: http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOPAR-170-198-225-SLANT-SIX-PERFORMANCE-VALVE-TRAIN-/300707967270

As for the article memike I believe the early casting heads are less desirable. But honestly I'm new to the slant world and only taking this info from what I've read I believe it say pretty much the same thing in the 6cyl mopar performance book as well
Hope this helps
Aaron

biggest hint on those valves are the single lock groove...

I guess I didn't notice that I'd be in for a large set of valves if you can find what your looking for I'd prefer something in a 7mm stem I have 1.70 intake in my head now but this winter I'm going to be building a new turbo motor and planning on cleaning up another head

I guess I didn't notice that I'd be in for a large set of valves if you can find what your looking for I'd prefer something in a 7mm stem I have 1.70 intake in my head now but this winter I'm going to be building a new turbo motor and planning on cleaning up another head

will do... i have some feelers out that should be in monday so i'll keep it posted...

will do... i have some feelers out that should be in monday so i'll keep it posted...

Thanks Kid

Fyi I'm getting ready to start some minor road tests with the valiant in the next week I have to check operation of the brakes and the transmission then ill have to take the TOAD to the alignment and exhaust shop and I'll be ready to start building boost.

Aaron

-
Back