Od 727

-

cudatom

cudatom
Reaction score
I was talking to a tranny guy last night and he told me that I could put a 727 tranny from a new model dodge truck in my Cuda and have OD just like those expensive kits from Keyslers or the od tailshaft kits. He was talking lock up and non lock up versions and I got lost in all the garble. He said I should use one from a two wheel drive and that all I had to do was have an on/off switch to put the trans into OD and it would work fine. Did any of you guys use one of these newer 727's in your ride or heard of this? Any input? Thanks Tom

Yes you can use one of the pre-electronic shifted OD trannys in your car. I hear though that you have to modify the trans tunnel on cars because of the size of the OD unit.

The 727 OD trans is called a "518" and the 904 OD is called a "500"

You only have to supply a 12v source to the trans to make it OD work, you use a switch in this line so you can manually shut off the power to keep the OD from engaging for towing and such.

Chuck

340mopar said:
The 727 OD trans is called a "518" and the 904 OD is called a "500"

The designation was changed to 46RH in the early/mid 90's but it's the same tranny as a 518, the electronic one is a 46RE.

dgc333 said:
The designation was changed to 46RH in the early/mid 90's but it's the same tranny as a 518, the electronic one is a 46RE.

Oh, great more numbers to remember or forget, LOL

Thanks,
Chuck

I am also interested in an o/d trans - any ideas on the extent of the tunnel mods required???

Thanks guys. This guy I talked to said that the newer trans are basically a 727 case and it would bolt in no problem. As 340mopar said all you have to do is run it on a 12 volt switched curcuit and the od is at your mercy for cruising. He has a trans at his garage that he said is what I need and I know another guy that has one. When I get it I will check the housing and the fit and let you guys know. It sure is a cheaper way to go than the new ones!

The main case is basically the same but the tail shaft is much larger because it contains the OD gear set. This makes for transmission tunnel clearance issues. In an A-body car you will need to cut the tunnel open from in front of the torsion bar cross member to after it. cut the torsion bar cross member open the area up to provide clearance weld in a spacer to the cross member and fill the gap in the floor with sheet metal. The tranny support cross member will need to be modified to support the tranny.

If you are replacing a 904 then you will have to have the drive shaft shortened too.

A buddy of mine did this on his 67 Cuda. If you are handy with metal fabrication and can weld it's not a tough job but it's certainly not a bolt in operation.

Well that sure would change the plans in a hurry since I already have the bottom of the car painted. I will have to get the trans and test fit it to see how much work it will be. Maybe I can get my body man to do that while he still has the car! Thanks for the help! Tom

-
Back