ODBI or ODBII

-

dustinwilt68

Reaction score
i have a line on a 96 dodge truck with 5.9 but i have heard ODBII is better and i thin that started in 97 or 98, just wondering how it is better and if i should try and buy the truck, want to repeat BADASS's build and put the entire setup in to a 68 cuda, truck is suppose to be around $600 to $800 so sounds like a perfect fit. OOH i will be using a 727 instead of the 4speed auto in the truck cause it is a 4x4. any info would be appreciated.

a 96 should have OBDII

you can tell by the plug ...they standardized the plug when they went to OBDII as a federal mandate.

OBDII is a huge advantage over the system before it because OBDII has live data stream so you can see the computer in opration as the engine is running and a snap-on scanner can even modify parameters for test purposes. The previous systems were more of a "snapshot" format and you scan and it picks up stored data from the computer about certain "events"

Attachments

• ST-144201_large.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 336
96 will be OBDII. If it's not OBDII, it's not a 96.

is there any downside to a 96? would like to be able to get a tune in it at some point but mostly just a driver is what i am looking for.

Well ibought a 5.9 today. It was such a deal I couldn't pass it up, garage bought motor and guy never came back for install, so it been there for a while and I got it for a steal, it has the engine harness and flex plate, I was planning on using hotwire kit but the motor says 3-16-95. I deffinetly want to go obd II. Anyway to tel if this was in a 96, I think production years start in june of previous year so I am hopjng it is 96, if not can you still use obdII wiring kit?

OBD II is a LOT more work.

BCM in play, for one- not just ECM.

i understand it is more work but i want to be able to add a tune, and i understand obdI is not capable, plus not sure how to find wiring for OBDI, ot wire makes kit for obdII

I had to hook up 4 wires in the engine compartment to run my OBDII system on my '68 with a junkyard 2000 5.9 Magnum and a 727 for a small block. It was plug and play, because I used the hotrod version for this motor from Hotwire Auto. The notch for the bellhousing to clear the crank position sensor is best accomplished using a plug cutout with the little drill bit in the center, similar to what they use to cut the holes for the doorknob on a door.

I used an ECM out of a 5 speed 3/4 ton truck from Solo Electronics with a lifetime warranty and then flashed it with an SCT Tuner from HemiFever.

It was my first foray into EFI and I learned a lot. There are several cool ways to go with the fuel system these days.

I'll never go back to a carb on this car. It's in the final stages of a drive train upgrade, and I already had the new base tune emailed to me to download into the ECM. I don't use a computer on my automatic overdrive transmissions.

JBC sounds a lot like what i am thinking of putting in my car except for the year of motor, i just bought the 95 but have my eye on a 98 also it has low miles and i have heard it run. thanks for the info. i appreciate it

-
Back