odd steering problem

-

737jetdr

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have an odd steering problem on my 66 cuda. It has power steering. When you start the car up the steering wheel tries to turn to the right by itself. I already replaced the pump so I am assuming that the problem is in the steering box. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

The valve body on the top of the box has been knocked out of alignment (usually during an engine swap). Center wheels, loosen 2 bolts securing small casting on top of box, center casting, try again.

The valve body on the top of the box has been knocked out of alignment (usually during an engine swap). Center wheels, loosen 2 bolts securing small casting on top of box, center casting, try again.

Sometimes you gotta tap that sucker one way or the other with it running and the bolts just barely loose. (It's in the FSM).

Shoot!!!! I went to school today and asked my teacher what he thought. My teacher spent many years as a Chrysler tech and he is now teaching the suspension/steering class. I was sooo stoked to come here with the answer, but looks like y'all covered it. Guess I gotta be quicker next time :)

i remember the vans were a pain in the but to adj. boxs was real close to the core suport and had to by a spec. whench to fit. jack up from wheels and move the top around till it does not move when you start it. good luck.

-
Back