Odd trim option

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
Yesterday I had a guy track me down to talk about my 65 Barracuda he told me he had a 66 that he was having built. He claims his trunk trim (spears) were no stainless but aluminum. Has anyone seen this? Any ideas where to find this?

I don't see anything in the catalog about special aluminum trim for the '66 A-bodies. '66 The front (GT) and rear (270 & GT) fender top trim on the 66 Darts I have restored were anodized aluminum. Aluminum can be sanded and polished to a mirror-like finish, but it will oxide rather soon. Anodizing the aluminum makes the polished aluminum remain bright much longer. Anodizing does make polished aluminum look slightly "milky" compared to chrome. Hope this helps with the mystery.

The spears on top of the quarters on my '66 are aluminum.

X2, Valiants too, the 66 cars had aluminum spears, they are tought to find in good shape cause they are soft, lots of stainless ones out there! The aluminum ones were also wider on the 66, all 1-year parts.

I think a lot of folks use the term "stainless" to mean any bright, chrome like trim.

Almost all that I have seen is in fact, aluminum.

Have you ever seen any rusted?
Stainless steel will rust eventually, especially if scratched or nicked.
Ironically, rust will also "stain" stainless steel.

-
Back