Oddball u-joint needed!

-

DemonDave

Swollen Member
Reaction score
So I'm down to the short strokes on my drivetrain swap and have hit a minor snag. The yoke on my "Duster 340" driveshaft is about 3" or so wide but the yoke on my 8 3/4" pig is much larger, say 3.5" or bigger. That leaves me needing a u-joint that's wider in one direction than the other, like a cross.

Anyone know where I could source such a thing, maybe even a part number from someone who's had this issue before? All info appreciated! :)

Most decent parts stores should have a bastard joint like that.

I agree, just go to the parts store, talk to somebody that has a clue and ask for a Ujoint that is for the big Yoke on the center section and the small yoke on the driveshaft. I forget the numbers right off hand.

Jack

had the same problem, I got one from Lordco out here in BC, they had it on the shelf, don't know if you have Lordco in Ont. I will look for the receipt and see if I can get you the part number, I'll post it tonight.

I had the opposite problem, large drive shaft, small yoke. They make what is called a combination U-joint. According to what I've read on Big Block Dart, Chrysler only used two sizes on thier U-joints, 2 1/8 and 2 5/8. The measurements are taken from the inside of the brackets. You also have to know if you need inside or outside clips. Mine were both inside clip. Oh, by the way, I learned this after I went out and bought a new center section with the larger yoke to fit my U-joint!

From the Mopar Performance book:
P5007418.

Adapts 7260 driveshaft to 7290 axle yoke or reverse.

Buy a spare, so you don't have to track it down later....

Excellent advice guys!

Mine are inside clips, heading to NAPA tomorrow to grab a couple.

Thanks! :)

The one I bought cost 30.00, it's in a blue and yellow box, brand name Precision, part number is 347, it's printed right on the box. (list was 56.02, but 30.00 with mine and probably everybody else's discount.

one side is the 7260(2 1/8") the other side is 7290(2 5/8"). a tranny shop i use stocks them.

-
Back