Off road carbs

-

V8 Sam

Reaction score
Evening peeps.

Recently been given a edelbrok 1825 650 thunder 4bbl carb, planning on running it on my '70 318 dart along with a performer intake. To replace the old carter carb job and standard intake that's on there now.

Was doing some research about it and keep seeing that it's an 'off road' carb?

Any idea what exactly that is?!

Can't see any reason why you couldn't street it so just wondering what the difference are.

Thanks

Last edited:
The only differences between an off road carb and regular carb are the following:

-Transfer tube between bowl vents (holley)

-check balls in the emulsion wells of metering block (holley)

-spring loaded needle and seat (holley & edelbrock)

In my experience they are okay. The holley can be a little different to tune due to the obstruction (check ball) in each emulsion well.

It can't hurt to try the carb on your combo. I would ditch the spring loaded needle & seat if you put a kit in it. FWIW we have two 318 trucks on the ranch. For comparison sake, years ago, i used the holley truck avenger on my 70 w100 and an edelbrock thunder off road on our 1982 w150. Both 318's although the 82 has a cam and headers. The 70 is mostly stock with a hollet SD intake (all we had at the time).

I know on the Holley, a true off road carburetor has the bowl vents curved so that they will dump excess fuel down the carburetor throat, instead of possibly spilling all over the carburetor and possibly causing a fire. The Edelbrock might have modified bowl vents as well, although I cannot tell from pictures. I see no reason you cannot use one. Where does an off road vehicle ride before it goes off road? On the street.

So nothing that different then really?

Didn't wanna waste time getting it all Dyno tuned up and etc if it was wildly unsuitable!

Thanks

Alot of that "off road" just has to do with emissions, they are calibrated different than a stock carb, and being they "look different" than a stock carb may not pass at least the visual portion of a smog test

-
Back