off set on a stock 72 dart

-

dartswinger7

Reaction score
I have a 72 dart and found a set of center line wheels the back wheels are 8" wide and the guy selling them said it measures 5 inches for the back space and 1" off set from center line will these fit?

5 inches back space would work if you install mopar performance offset shackles. This moves your springs in about 3/4". It's what I did on my 71 Dart.

Actual data on my 68 cuda, not what-ifs:

The car came with Centerline SBP 15 X 8-1/2" wheels in the rear with 255-60 X 15 BFG radials.
I measured the BS of the wheels at 4-7/8".
Rear was an a-body 8-3/4".
The car came with 5/16" wheel spacers. The holes had been "modified" to fit the 4" bolt pattern.
Trying the wheels and tires w/o the spacers resulted in the side wall of the tires just kissing the springs.
My car needed those spacers with that particular wheel/tire combo.

When I converted the rear to Large Bolt Pattern, the shortened C-body axles added 3/8" to the track on both sides. In other words, the face of the brake drum is now 3/8" further from the springs on both sides. Same housing, just different axles and brake drums. (now 10" x 2-1/2")

Your results may vary depending on production tolerances. If you are going to run your tires with limited clearance, I would recommend poly spring shackle bushing to help eliminate any side ways slop. I got mine from Mancini racing. 7/8" diameter fits the A-body spring eyes.

Actual data on my 68 cuda, not what-ifs:

The car came with Centerline SBP 15 X 8-1/2" wheels in the rear with 255-60 X 15 BFG radials.
I measured the BS of the wheels at 4-7/8".
Rear was an a-body 8-3/4".
The car came with 5/16" wheel spacers. The holes had been "modified" to fit the 4" bolt pattern.
Trying the wheels and tires w/o the spacers resulted in the side wall of the tires just kissing the springs.
My car needed those spacers with that particular wheel/tire combo.

When I converted the rear to Large Bolt Pattern, the shortened C-body axles added 3/8" to the track on both sides. In other words, the face of the brake drum is now 3/8" further from the springs on both sides. Same housing, just different axles and brake drums. (now 10" x 2-1/2")

Your results may vary depending on production tolerances. If you are going to run your tires with limited clearance, I would recommend poly spring shackle bushing to help eliminate any side ways slop. I got mine from Mancini racing. 7/8" diameter fist the A-body spring eyes.
All good info but a Dart has different needs than a Barracuda does in the rear. He will need to offset his springs to tuck inside the lip, that is not an issue on Barracudas.

I'm not aware of any 8" wide Centerlines. I have seen and used the 15" X 8.5" Centerlines that have a 4-7/8" backspacing. They will work with a small tire 235/60/15 or 225/60/15 it's kind of narrow for that wheel and it makes for a tight fit in the fender. See pictures below.

I feel that a 15" X 7" Centerline with 4-7/8" backspacing is the right fit when combined with a 1/4" spacer these wheels fit nicely. Just doesn't have that deep dish look of the 8.5" wide Centerlines

Attachments

• 70 dart 019.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 70 dart 008.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 138
All good info but a Dart has different needs than a Barracuda does in the rear. He will need to offset his springs to tuck inside the lip, that is not an issue on Barracudas.

Yeah well, I know 72 darts are restricted in the rear. Notice, he never did say what tires he was planning on running. Only asked if these wheels would fit.

Barracudas have "hips" in the rear that make them sexier anyway. :D

-
Back