Off Topic: Dodge truck trim question

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
I'm asking this question here because all the old Dodge truck websites and groups that I've found are pretty lame, and you guys really seem to know your Mopar stuff, so maybe you'd know the answer to this question.

What are those plastic or rubber-impregnated cardboard(?) splash shield thingies called in a '70s Dodge truck that run alongside the engine on both sides, down around the level of the spark plugs, between the inner fenderwell and the frame? They are maybe 10" wide and about 3' long, and are held in place by push-in wire fasteners that go through holes in the splash shield, the inner fenderwell and frame.

Anybody know if replacements are available? If not, from what kind of material are they made? Has anybody ever made their own?

Thanks very much for any help you can give me.

julie_dually_big.jpg

truck.jpg

Inner fender splash shields. They should be available from the dealer for a price. If you don't want to go that route, I've made them out of roofing tar paper. They only last a year or two, but hey, tar paper is cheap.

Thanks, Chris and grumpus! I ordered a pair from dodgeconnection. FABO comes through again!

Say, can you guys tell me what color the factory painted the frame rails on a truck like mine? It's hard to tell what color they were!

On '76s, '77s, '79s and '82s the frame rails were black, at least on the ones I owned.

Thanks, ramcharger! That means a lot coming from you, because I know that you knows your Mopars! I'm trying to detail the engine compartment so that it looks as good as the rest of the truck. It's a good winter project because it's too cold outside to do anything else.

grumpus, then the frame on mine must have been black, too, because it's a '78. Gloss or flat, BTW? I assume flat.

I have a 76 original Club Cab and the frame is black. Splash shields are a thin rubber like a thin belting type material .

nice truck Bill!!
i have a 20' roll of that stuff but it was much easier just to buy all the sheilds at once allready cut out.

my 78 frame is chassis black

375894330.jpg

-
Back