Offenhauser intake/Holley 390 thread

-

DodgeLad

Skipped the Light Fandango
Reaction score
I'm getting my ducks in a row for this upgrade on my 1980 A727 truck. I can't seem to find a 1-barrel carb that works right and I'm tired of farting around. I'm assembling a parts list and have a few questions too.

The Holley 4-barrel does not support the EGR system, so EGR would need to be disabled/removed?

I don't think the stock air cleaner can be used, so does anyone have any recommendations? I would lose the heated air, right? Will the 390 auto choke make up for the loss of heated air?

So my parts list so far...

Offy manifold (Do I need the setup kit, it's an extra $60)
Holley 390 (and parts for tuning?)
Lokar or Bouchillon or other kickdown?
Throttle cable? (I read I can use the stock one if I mount the carb in the right position)
Odds and ends?

Any help is very much appreciated.

I have adapted a BBD carter to the 1 bbl manifold many times and they work very well with only one problem. They tend to generate carburetor ice if too well insulated from the manifold at low ambient temps. Many old irrigation engines had adapters to put a 1BBl on the small 2bbl manifold so I just flipped one of the thin ones over and drilled out the bolt holes deep enough to use a couple of short allen headed bolts that would pull flush.

If you do not have to pass smog then the offy and 390 will work well, or use a 350 2bbl holley.My favorite is the Edelbrock 500 but that's just me.Look for a air cleaner from a 360-400 Chrysler car (Cordoba is what I used) to keep the hot air stove working.Lokar cost less but the Bouchillon is a much better product.Yes you can re-use the throttle cable.It may be a bit long for your liking,if so then swap a cable from a smallblock truck.

If you do not have to pass smog then the offy and 390 will work well, or use a 350 2bbl holley.My favorite is the Edelbrock 500 but that's just me.Look for a air cleaner from a 360-400 Chrysler car (Cordoba is what I used) to keep the hot air stove working.Lokar cost less but the Bouchillon is a much better product.Yes you can re-use the throttle cable.It may be a bit long for your liking,if so then swap a cable from a smallblock truck.

thx
Smog exempt. So EGR goes away then, no way to make it work?
what parts would I need from Bouchillon?
http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/trans_kickdown_cables

The BPE3350 kit should be all you need.I used it on one of my slant projects

I've never used one. I doubt that it will be needed with the Bouchllion kit.

Find youself a salvage yard dodge truck from about 84 to 88 as they had 4bbl carbs still yet. You will need a airhorn size of 5 1/8'' to fit the carb.You also can use the newer fuel injected trucks from about 90 to 93 . I used one from a 88 D 350 and one from a 92 D 150 and they fit and look original keeping the hot air and valve cover breather attachments.

If you can fabricate a little bit, and are a tightwad (like me) then look into the cable kickdowns from any 90's dodge/jeep with a magnum engine. It was fairly simple to me, just get EVERYTHING. Throttle body bracket, cable, lever on the trans, etc.

Thanks, I have two 95 Jeeps with V8s and just sent one a 94 to the boneyard. Wish I'd have know that then.

-
Back