Offset bracket for booster?

-

Wvbuzzmaster

Reaction score
I just mocked up my brake booster (7” diameter) in my 1972 Duster. The booster is over top the driver side Mopar Performance valve cover on the 340 close enough to never be able to remove the valve cover. With adjustable rockers I want to be able to remove the valve cover. Does anyone know of a booster bracket that offsets the booster towards the fender more?

I found this bracket and Jegs has best pics but it is in stock at Classic Industries and Mancini Racing.
Mopar Performance P5249717: Master Cylinder Offset Adapter Kit 1968 A-Body - JEGS High Performance
The booster bracket kit I bought has three length pushrods for the pedal and it has the medium on it now, with a 1” longer in the kit. So if I use that with one of these brackets and it looks like bolt the pushrod on the wrong side of the pedal it moves the booster forward 1” and over the 1” I am looking for. Anyone think this is a bad idea?

Also here is what I have right now.
upload_2021-10-10_22-4-16.jpeg
upload_2021-10-10_22-4-16.jpeg

I believe there is a smaller diameter booster as well. Like 5” but a bit longer. There is a lot of aftermarket stuff out there even boosters that run off your power steering pump and a lot smaller. No vacuum needed.

I have no power steering. Does the 5” booster fit a 4 bolt master cylinder?
I’m not sure- I’ve seen them in person but don’t know if that’s a 2 bolt or 4 bolt set up. I was amazed by how small the diameter was. Maybe off a different brand car and converted. Driver was not around at the show to ask.

I see. I can find smaller boosters for stuff like Miatas and what not but all 2 bolt master. I really am trying to maintain the 4 bolt master so I don’t have to remake the lines I bought too much… or screw up the fact I basically installed entire 1973 power brake system on my 1972.

Go manual disc brakes. Doctor diff master cylinder and their 4 bolt to 2 bolt adaptor. Will bolt right up to your 73 brake lines. This setup is for disc brakes.

1EE302EA-80C4-4E03-BA6C-A26546D17DEB.png
This is what I have. But I can’t remember what year it is from. You think I would remember after the battle it took to find it.

I could probably get the valve cover off. I can’t get the coil pack out though I have to pull 3 bolts and lean over.

Ok, researching and just figured out my current booster is of the 9.88" variety...

Do not ask me why I did not measure it.. or notice that when I bought it as an advertised 7" booster... which seemingly does not exist...

Keep in mind I bought this booster about a year ago when I was still learning what I needed vs wanted vs could get... and needed everything... so verifying when a local Mopar guy sells me something did not happen because I decided he knew better than me since he had more A body stuff available and organized than I would need, besides, the booster was only $60 and new ones are 2 to 3 times that.

Now, I did buy one of those offset master cylinder mounts to move the booster over 7/8 of on inch on the firewall. Currently debating buying a new 8" booster instead of using a good used booster?

My few considerations:
1) It would be new, so definitely work.
2) Smaller diameter so woukd gain more clearance 1" all around.
3) Costs more than using what I have...
Thoughts?

I found this bracket and Jegs has best pics but it is in stock at Classic Industries and Mancini Racing.
Mopar Performance P5249717: Master Cylinder Offset Adapter Kit 1968 A-Body - JEGS High Performance
The booster bracket kit I bought has three length pushrods for the pedal and it has the medium on it now, with a 1” longer in the kit. So if I use that with one of these brackets and it looks like bolt the pushrod on the wrong side of the pedal it moves the booster forward 1” and over the 1” I am looking for. Anyone think this is a bad idea?
Not really, If it works, has proper clearance, and Don't bind up/ drag/ ect, that should do it. Who's to say it's the "wrong" side? Main concern would be the linkage...

Ok, researching and just figured out my current booster is of the 9.88" variety...

Do not ask me why I did not measure it.. or notice that when I bought it as an advertised 7" booster... which seemingly does not exist...

Keep in mind I bought this booster about a year ago when I was still learning what I needed vs wanted vs could get... and needed everything... so verifying when a local Mopar guy sells me something did not happen because I decided he knew better than me since he had more A body stuff available and organized than I would need, besides, the booster was only $60 and new ones are 2 to 3 times that.

Now, I did buy one of those offset master cylinder mounts to move the booster over 7/8 of on inch on the firewall. Currently debating buying a new 8" booster instead of using a good used booster?

My few considerations:
1) It would be new, so definitely work.
2) Smaller diameter so woukd gain more clearance 1" all around.
3) Costs more than using what I have...
Thoughts?
I'm about to switch my 74 to manual. My Bro I got the car from, paid 300 bucks for the one on there now, a year before I got it. I'd sell it to you, just to finance my manual conversion

My concern about the offset bracket is the push rods lining up. Just moving the master over or the booster over you may still need to rework the bell crank etc. to get proper alignment.

I'm with Moparmatt2000 go manual. I have Manual front KH discs in the front of my 67 Dart and it is not had to stop

-
Back