Offset shackles - '71 Dart

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
Fellas - I'm looking into getting a set of offset shackles for my Dart. I'm a little torn though - are they really worth doing or should I just go full inboard and mini-tub? I'd rather not get involved with mini-tub surgery but if it's ultimately a better solution, I guess I'd look into doing it. And yeah, .8" of an inch is certainly a lot less than the 3" relocation kits so it may be comparing apples to oranges. Is the width more of a concern or is it the height inside the well near the quarter panel? I know it will be tight.

I'm really just looking to get a 10"-10.5" tire (like a 275/60/15) in the stock wheel wells. I had 245/60/15s on my '65 Valiant with the springs (arched 2" over stock) in the stock location - those measured around 9.5" wide and were around 26.5" tall. There was a little room inside, very little by the wheel lip but no rubbing unless I had weight in the rear and cornered very hard. But even then it was minimal. According to my research, a 10" tire will generally be about 28" tall.

Thanks for your input.

- Greg

With the offset shackles, you should be able to run a 275/60/15. That's about as big as you can go. But if you want "big meats" you'll need tubbing. Hope this helps.

When I got my car it had 245/60/15s on stock Rallye wheels on the rear and the inside the tire was around 1/2" from touching the leaf spring.

Then I installed the offset hangers and shackles... moved up to a 15x8.5 ProStar wheels with 4.5 backspacing and 275/60/15. I could have went a 10" wheel I really believe and a 50 series tire and would had a much better look. I'm not 100% sure of this but you can tell by how much room I have now compared to the 1/2".

Cuda boot area 067.jpg

When I got my car it had 245/60/15s on stock Rallye wheels on the rear and the inside the tire was around 1/2" from touching the leaf spring.

Then I installed the offset hangers and shackles... moved up to a 15x8.5 ProStar wheels with 4.5 backspacing and 275/60/15. I could have went a 10" wheel I really believe and a 50 series tire and would had a much better look. I'm not 100% sure of this but you can tell by how much room I have now compared to the 1/2".
mullinax95: I didn't want to say anything because of pushing the limits.lol I ran 15x10 weld wheels w/5" offsets. Had 1/4" clearance until I ran 1/4" spacers. Seems like your clearances are just right. Thanks for the photo, that always helps.

the .80" offset shackle kit will let you use the whole wheelwell on your car instead of hitting the springs first. This is a 70 Duster with a 68 B-body axle and the MP offset shackle kit.

2-18-2009012.jpg

2-18-2009017.jpg

a word of warning though, your tailpipes probably won't fit anymore after that. I have to reconfigure mine to run out the side.

Cool, thanks for the replies, boys. Obviously the only way to figure it out is to measure. A 245/60/15 tire is 9.64", a 275/60/15 tire is 10.82". Little larger than I thought. I still think it will fit.

Only thing though, you guys with Dusters/Demons and 'Cudas is that you don't have the overhang like a Dart.

oh BTW: if you already don't have a 5/8" front spring eye bolt (not the stock size) on your car, the MP kit will make you change to that AND the front bushings. I have some extra of some bolts that will work properly if you need them. I changed my spring bushings to the Energy Suspension polys.

mullinax95: I didn't want to say anything because of pushing the limits.lol I ran 15x10 weld wheels w/5" offsets. Had 1/4" clearance until I ran 1/4" spacers. Seems like your clearances are just right. Thanks for the photo, that always helps.

So you think I could fit a 15x10 in there w/5 offsets? LOL!

Cool, thanks for the replies, boys. Obviously the only way to figure it out is to measure. A 245/60/15 tire is 9.64", a 275/60/15 tire is 10.82". Little larger than I thought. I still think it will fit.

Only thing though, you guys with Dusters/Demons and 'Cudas is that you don't have the overhang like a Dart.

Yeah I was thinking about that before I posted but didn't want to sound like "It's not going work good on your Dart because of the overhang!" NAH! NAH!

You could do a little massaging if you know what I mean! LOL!

back from the dead. ive removed the wheel wells completely. then with using the offset hangers. a 275/60x15 on a 10" wheel will fit in a 67-69 dart? is that what im reading? im trying to do as little fab work as needed for the suspension as i dont want to pay somebody to weld it for me. im trying to save some money here where ever i can. i removed the tubs for the height and quarter clearance where the tub lenas in hard. and maybe one day ill go to a ladderbar set up, but not for a while. plan on running a stock abody width s60.

back from the dead. ive removed the wheel wells completely. then with using the offset hangers. a 275/60x15 on a 10" wheel will fit in a 67-69 dart? is that what im reading? im trying to do as little fab work as needed for the suspension as i dont want to pay somebody to weld it for me. im trying to save some money here where ever i can. i removed the tubs for the height and quarter clearance where the tub lenas in hard. and maybe one day ill go to a ladderbar set up, but not for a while. plan on running a stock abody width s60.

The darts have a smaller wheel well lip on the quarters than a cuda so I'm not 100% sure that it will fit. I believe I could got away with a 10" wheel on my cuda but it would have been real close... I went with the 8" instead. You have to do a lot of measuring and calculating to make sure. Know anyone with a 10" Ford or Mopar wheel?

Removing the tubs involves a lot of welding, no? So if you're willing to do all that welding to start, why not go with the spring relocation kit? You'll get 12" tire in there. Especially if one day you're going to put ladder bars in.

My original idea was similar to yours in that I didn't want to get into all the fab work of mini tubs and a spring relocation kit, but it sounds like you went ahead and did it anyway. IMO, the last amount of fab work would involve offset shackles. The only downside is that they net only another .8" clearance. The only fab work is removing the old spring perches and welding new ones in slightly inboard. I think I can get a 275/60/15 in the stock wheel well using the offset shackles and springs arched slightly over stock without mini tubs. IMO, the only issue should be the height at 28". The width should be no problem.

The darts have a smaller wheel well lip on the quarters than a cuda so I'm not 100% sure that it will fit. I believe I could got away with a 10" wheel on my cuda but it would have been real close... I went with the 8" instead. You have to do a lot of measuring and calculating to make sure. Know anyone with a 10" Ford or Mopar wheel?
i dont even know anyone with a mopar.lol

i did shove a 22"x9 trailblazer ss wheel in there. have room both ways without moving the leafs yet. ive cut out the wheel well allready for the tire height to clear all around. im just curious how much wider the tire is on the rim? a 275x60 is only 28"tall on an 8" wheel. maybe ill run a 9" wheel with the 275's and have room without relocating the springs other then shackles? i cant weld and i will likely rivet in the tubs? i just want to make the stock suspension work with the 275s and run some very deep low 5's 1/8 times. just dont want to spend money on a rear end and wheels that wont work is all. im fixen to buy a rearend and caltrac springs with bars. wheels and tires just shortly after, but want to have everything covered before ordering the rearend.

Removing the tubs involves a lot of welding, no? So if you're willing to do all that welding to start, why not go with the spring relocation kit? You'll get 12" tire in there. Especially if one day you're going to put ladder bars in.

My original idea was similar to yours in that I didn't want to get into all the fab work of mini tubs and a spring relocation kit, but it sounds like you went ahead and did it anyway. IMO, the last amount of fab work would involve offset shackles. The only downside is that they net only another .8" clearance. The only fab work is removing the old spring perches and welding new ones in slightly inboard. I think I can get a 275/60/15 in the stock wheel well using the offset shackles and springs arched slightly over stock without mini tubs. IMO, the only issue should be the height at 28". The width should be no problem.
im planning on the car sitting really low aswell which is also why the tubs came out. dont want to go 170+ in a 4x4. so the wheels have to tuck up inside the tubs area.

-
Back