Oh boy problems...

-

dartbrad66

Reaction score
Hey guys I need some advice. I have a 66 dart with a 360. New summit electric ingnition, new wire, new plugs, msd blaster 2 coil. I'm not even totally sure this is a electionic problem but I will be driving down the road and all of the sudden my engine will just shut off. No warning or anything. Almost like it just looses power. When it does cut off it's kinda hard to get it started back up. Takes a few times to get it to fire off. I thought it might be the ballast resistor and changed that the other day and it didn't help. I really have no idea what it could be. Anyone have any sugesstions?

Sounds more like a fuel problem. Make sure you have a good filter on that sucker, and carry a fuel pressure guage for the next time it shuts down.

It really shouldn't be a fuel problem but I guess it could be. I just put a new fuel pump on and the filter is only a few weeks old. There has been a couple times when it shut down and I was able to check and see if there was fuel in the filter and there was at least fuel sitting in the filter.

You can tell if it's a fuel problem easy next time it happens by pulling the air breather and pumping the throttle and seeing if the accellerator pump is shooting fuel. If so it's not a fuel problem. If it's not it's a fuel problem. With these old cars it's more likely a electrical problem due to the age of the wiring. I'd check the bulkhead connections first. That's always been a problem area on cars of all brands. Do you have a test light to carry with you? If so that could be handy for trouble shooting. If it happens again see if you have power at the ballast resistor. If you do you might have gotten a defective electronic ignition from Summit.

fishy68 is right. its electrical not fuel. could be that "hecho in -----" ECU that you have from Summit. if you have a volt meter, pull your ecu plug and check pin 5 for resistance @ ground(put on ohms). pin 5 is across from the empty spot where pin 3 was. check primary and secondary resistance(ohms again) at the coil.primary is done by touching coil pos and neg and see if it registers on the meter, secondary is done by moving 1 to the inside of the coil plug wire terminal. if it does not register, you have a bad coil. this may not be it but it does help to eliminate the variables.

-
Back