Ohio...New Title? Anybody?

-

1972Swinger

Reaction score
So here is my problem. There are two Plymouth Dusters (a '73 and a '76) that I can buy really cheap. Right now he wants $200 for the '73, and a "couple hundred" for the '76. The '73 is a GOLD Duster with a slant six and auto transmission. '76 is just a plain Duster with a slanty and a 3spd.

Problem is that neither have a Title. The current owner had one for the '73, but had never put it in his name, and he lost it in a move.:angry7: '76s just never showed up.

For the most part I only want them for some parts (most importantly the '76s transmission and pedals), and the '73 would take a lot of work to be drive-able (no glass or interior, etc.). However, the '76 is in really good condition considering they have both sat behind a garage for years. It would probably start with a tune up, and I would love to daily drive it.

Does anybody here have experience with Ohio title laws? If a company like Broadway Title can do it, then a normal person has to be able to. I already called the BMV, and got a very curt NO and the lady hung up on me.

Based on what I could find on Broadway's site, they would need a notarized Bill of Sale, have the VINs ran by a police officer, and be inspected by a ASE-certified mechanic. From there I don't know.:read2:

Thanks all! Really hope I can figure this out.

So here is my problem. There are two Plymouth Dusters (a '73 and a '76) that I can buy really cheap. Right now he wants $200 for the '73, and a "couple hundred" for the '76. The '73 is a GOLD Duster with a slant six and auto transmission. '76 is just a plain Duster with a slanty and a 3spd.

Problem is that neither have a Title. The current owner had one for the '73, but had never put it in his name, and he lost it in a move.:angry7: '76s just never showed up.

For the most part I only want them for some parts (most importantly the '76s transmission and pedals), and the '73 would take a lot of work to be drive-able (no glass or interior, etc.). However, the '76 is in really good condition considering they have both sat behind a garage for years. It would probably start with a tune up, and I would love to daily drive it.

Does anybody here have experience with Ohio title laws? If a company like Broadway Title can do it, then a normal person has to be able to. I already called the BMV, and got a very curt NO and the lady hung up on me.

Based on what I could find on Broadway's site, they would need a notarized Bill of Sale, have the VINs ran by a police officer, and be inspected by a ASE-certified mechanic. From there I don't know.:read2:

Thanks all! Really hope I can figure this out.

:read2:
Get signed, notorized bill of sales,dated 1 each for each car with vin# etc.
Find one of your Indiana buddies, (use their name as coowner on the bill of sales or their name alone would be easier), get them to his driveway.
He then gets out of state inspection $5.00 each.
Then takes those and bill of sales to IN BMV and titles in his and your name or his alone better. ($25.00-40.00 each) + IN sales tax!!!
After clean IN titles come back, he sells his half or his whole interest back to you and signes back of titles.
You run back to OH with the cars giggleing like a school girl while your getting your new titles from the biddy that hung up on you!
TADA! :cheers:

I might know someone (wink/wink) who could help if you don't know anyone in IN!
Might have to leave 1 of the cars as payment though! LOL!!!:-D

How's that?!

OR

I'll go buy them with ya!!!!:-D

most guys will tell you not to bother with it if it has no titles......however I say diffrent lol.

I to found a good deal on a 72 gold duster for $500 and had no title and was willing to take the chance.

I called secretary of state in michigan and they didnt want to help me and said all I could do is apply for an abandonment title which is only good to have the vehicle towed from your property to a junk yard .....and you cant apply for a lost title since it was never in your name.

I called a local sheriff who was a hotrod guy and said " Ill tell you what....you got a nice car and I am into hotrods....so I will tell you a back door alot of people dont know about" which was..........

In michigan there is a form that I believe is a TRW205 or TRW-205 or TR205 or TR-205 or something similar and form that you can get from the secretary of state.....for this all you need is the vin number of the vehicle and your signature.....it is pretty much an application for a title and then secretary of state runs the vin number through there system in a matter of minutes and if it comes back as not stolen they will issue you a clean and clear title for it!!! and it only cost me $15.00 to do all this.....about $30 including tax and title fees and what not.

however....atleast make sure you get a signed and dated "with vin number and model year and info like that" receipt wrote up just for a little bit of paper work on the sale.

I am sure you can do something close to the same in ohio......if not....then maybe you have a family member in michigan that will do it for you the way I mentioned and then "sell" it back to you in ohio lol.

I would not use a title service because they cost alot of money and i dont see the point in spending the money when there are loop holesw in the system.

I hope that this helps you out and maybe you can get it figure out....keep us updated!

:read2:
Get signed, notorized bill of sales,dated 1 each for each car with vin# etc.
Find one of your Indiana buddies, (use their name as coowner on the bill of sales or their name alone would be easier), get them to his driveway.
He then gets out of state inspection $5.00 each.
Then takes those and bill of sales to IN BMV and titles in his and your name or his alone better. ($25.00-40.00 each) + IN sales tax!!!
After clean IN titles come back, he sells his half or his whole interest back to you and signes back of titles.
You run back to OH with the cars giggleing like a school girl while your getting your new titles from the biddy that hung up on you!
TADA! :cheers:

I might know someone (wink/wink) who could help if you don't know anyone in IN!
Might have to leave 1 of the cars as payment though! LOL!!!:-D

How's that?!

OR

I'll go buy them with ya!!!!:-D

SWEET!! Thanks a ton. I will talk to my dad about it. He might know some guys at work that live in Indiana. If not, expect a PM.:-D (You will have first dibs on the '73 if I sell it.) I won't be even thinking about getting the cars until later in the spring when the ground dries up.

Just one question. If I get the cars using a Notarized Bill of Sale into my (or my dads) name, would that be okay before going about the Indiana route? Then transferring them from my to your name. Or would they have to go from his to your name? The guy is kinda weird about people he doesn't know being around his house, and it would be less trouble to get them home before doing this.

Thanks again!:read2:

I haven't done this in a few years, but if Ohio DMV laws have not changed you can do the following: also is done when you buy a car with a salvage title,

Take signed bill of sale to the local State Police barracks explaining your situation. They will give you a form copy signed by post commander or authorized person to either drive or trailor the car to a State Highway Patrol Inspection station.

They will inspect the car(s), vin# around vehicle etc. If the cars are not drivable they will issue you a state salvage title, or if they should pass drivable inspection that will then allow you to go to your local DMV office to get title and plates. Providing there are no problems when they do the vin# search, this will also tell them who and when the last title/plates were issued to the car(s).

But if you are only interested in these for parts etc. all you need to have is a signed (previous owner) bill of sale with the vin# from the dash pad.

Either this or previously other methods mentioned should work, it is a drawn out affair but it makes it legal with proper documentation for possible verivication.

Good luck.

SWEET!! Thanks a ton. I will talk to my dad about it. He might know some guys at work that live in Indiana. If not, expect a PM.:-D (You will have first dibs on the '73 if I sell it.) I won't be even thinking about getting the cars until later in the spring when the ground dries up.

Just one question. If I get the cars using a Notarized Bill of Sale into my (or my dads) name, would that be okay before going about the Indiana route? Then transferring them from my to your name. Or would they have to go from his to your name? The guy is kinda weird about people he doesn't know being around his house, and it would be less trouble to get them home before doing this.

Thanks again!:read2:

I just pretty much set it up the way it goes.
It's pretty flexible as long as it transfers out of state to a state (whatever state) that will give a title for a bill of sale for any car older than whatever many years that state says.
Here's the jyst, You got to trust your "out of state" friend cause he is minimum going to "own" 1/2 interest in your car while the process takes place. It aint gonna take an hour or so. I'm thinking month!
Whoever dad goes in with, could screw him over and not want to sign his half? steal the cars? steal whatever catches fire I don't know.
What you're doing is relinquishing part ownership, for whatever reason (debt owed, whatever) to your dads out of state friend. It has got to appear and really be for all purposes, a legit auto transaction. The sales ammounts on the car as it changes hands would also go up or down a little for depreciation or profit whatever but each person is going to have a good reason to sell his part of whatever car.:read2:

If the cars are bought very cheap, the price would have to go up a little each time it changed hands. But also by that you will also have to pay sales tax each time it goes ring around the rosie!
Savey?

-
Back